clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
Installing my harman tl 300 I may be a little short on required clearences/platform. If as stated for single wall pipe for parallel installation back of stove 17 inches and pipe 23 inches to back of wall it will leave me short with the front of the platform to extend 18 inches.

What I built was a hearth that extends up my wall with a platform. This is down in my basement and is built onto a concrete wall with mortar, cement board and then stone.

Any suggestions or am I okay??

Since I am not getting a response I may be unclear.

From the front of the stove to the front of the hearth platform needs to be 18 inches? This is code correct?

Now how about the back of the stove to the back of the wall? Is there code?

Is there a certain amount of space needed for the stove and stove pipe for the back clearences?

Hopefully I can figure out how to post a pictue here....

For clearances other than front - all stoves vary. Your manual should have a detailed picture showing all clearances for back, sides, corners - with and without heat shields / single wall / double wall.

However these clearances are to combustible surfaces. If the wall to the rear of the stove is a block wall with cement board and stone, you might be ok within and inch or 2 - unless that effects your stovepipe to combustibles clearances.

Safest thing is post a picture so others get get a good look at the situation.

Murry I got the same thing going on with the same stove lol. Mine just came yesterday. I have sort of a different issue. I went with the double wall pipe inside. The chimney I have was installed for my old englander stove and goes right up through the roof with triple wall pipe. Now, the location of the hole in my roof VS where I can place the TL 300 is causing a bit of a head ach as far as how to run the stove pipe. At this point I have no idea what I am going to do. If the wall behind your stove is a block wall, and there is no wood studs or paneling exc, then you could theoretically butt the back of your stove right up against your wall??? If I understand what you have written correctly. Clearances are only for combustible walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.