Clever way to split wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what makes this work so well? Having the wood "tied" up, or the Fiskars? I dont use either currently and well, hell... looks like Ive been wasting alot of energy!

(newby jokes expected)

Probably both, I dont have a Fiskars yet but Im going to order one, I have about a cord to split. Ive seen guys split using a tire but this looks a little better, Im going to give it a shot.

I've seen a similar trick done by placing wood in a tire to contain it. Thing is who has wood that will break that easily??? And if I did it could go almost that fast in my splitter by simply roll crack roll crack.

That log seems to be some of the best splitting wood available, straight grained etc. I do like the idea of the chain, it would make it easy to move the wood to the top of the stack. I don't seem to get wood that breaks apart that easily ,like the elm I ran through the splitter this week.

That's some pretty easy stuff....I rarely get wood that clear.

From the ease that this wood split I would be willing to bet that Backwoods Savage could split this wood in half the time just by giving it a dirty look . . . of course this would be done while sitting on a milk crate. ;)

firefighterjake said:
From the ease that this wood split I would be willing to bet that Backwoods Savage could split this wood in half the time just by giving it a dirty look . . . of course this would be done while sitting on a milk crate. ;)

outstanding!

The chain / bungi is a novel idea. Even w/ an unbreakable handle, I don't think I like the idea of splitting on the opposite side of the log. It doesn't feel good when the handle hits upsplit wood.

pen

firefighterjake said:

Too much screwing around there. Naturally they will post using the easiest splitting wood. As for the wrap-around, we've done the same type of splitting many times and we did not use a chopping block nor anything around the log. Just sit the thing on its end and split, just like quads does it.

Although I split for many, many moons with axe, maul and sledge and wedge I now use the hydraulics and love it and yes, I sit on that old milk crate. But Jake, it is my wife that has that certain look that makes the wood split so easy!

Remmy122 said:
So what makes this work so well? Having the wood "tied" up, or the Fiskars?
The big key here is splitting only Balsa wood. :lol:
If you were swinging hard enough to split actual firewood, you'd be gouging up the edge of the Fiskars on the chain before long.

pen said:
Even w/ an unbreakable handle, I don't think I like the idea of splitting on the opposite side of the log. It doesn't feel good when the handle hits upsplit wood.
:shut:

I get a lot of clear, green Red Oak would almost split that easy with a Fiskars. I try to split about 3/4 the way down the round a few times and them send multiple splits flying with the final blow. I don't bother with tires or bungies.

I'd prefer to see a movie of a gnarled old bit of twisty elm ;-)

woodchip said:
I'd prefer to see a movie of a gnarled old bit of twisty elm ;-)

That would be like watching a movie of a turtle race!

He could speed up the proccess a bit if he didn't stroke the head of his splitter everytime before using it. ;-)
I seldom split my round down that small, but it looks like it might be a good Idea for making kindling fast.

Carbon_Liberator said:
He could speed up the proccess a bit if he didn't stroke the head of his splitter everytime before using it. ;-)

Sometimes stroking the head of your splitter before use is important as a last minute check to be sure that it is sharp enough to successfully complete the task at hand.

I have also heard that it can make you go blind. :coolhmm:

Backwoods Savage said:
firefighterjake said:

Too much screwing around there. Naturally they will post using the easiest splitting wood. As for the wrap-around, we've done the same type of splitting many times and we did not use a chopping block nor anything around the log. Just sit the thing on its end and split, just like quads does it.

Although I split for many, many moons with axe, maul and sledge and wedge I now use the hydraulics and love it and yes, I sit on that old milk crate. But Jake, it is my wife that has that certain look that makes the wood split so easy!

HehHeh . . . don't believe that for one minute . . . not the way you talk about that little redhead . . . although maybe she just gives you that dirty look from time to time since us guys sometimes do stupid things. ;)

Flatbedford said:
I have also heard that it can make you go blind. :coolhmm:

No, you go blind when you burn pine in a woodstove . . . you get hairy palms when you stroke the ax. ;) :)

I do neither!

Well Dave, don't you fondle what you love?

Status
Not open for further replies.