CO content in pellet stove exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be off-base here, but the CO content would vary wioth the pellet burned, the altitude, and the relative efficiency of the unit, as well as its cleanliness....I know it isnt an answer, buuuuuut...

I thinxs the EPA is looking at total grams per hour in there testing of pellet stoves. I haven't seen any PPM readings. Didn't we cover this in another thread some where?

There are variables involved as each stove you check will have different feed rates and air/fuel ratio's. Plus what LW listed above. What fuel your using has to be a big factor. The multifuelers can burn other fuels besides wood fibered fuel! Personally I like to see some numbers from the agri-fuel stoves.

Enviro has some of there stoves g/hr emissions listed. I linked the Meridian. Scroll down to there big tanks and you see the numbers climb as the total pounds per hour increase!

http://www.enviro.com/fireplace-products/pellet/freestanding-fireplace.html#Meridian

What a stove would emit on saw dust only you can tell us?

Unfortunately this is about the best you can do here.

With the flame in the pot burning with a bright yellow to slightly blue at its base, your at the best you can hope for.

No manufacture of current stoves could do more than test a stove under idea conditions and report what they see.

These are not a closed loop system with computer adjustments on the fuel and air entering the combustion chamber.

An ideal setup is not at all likely here.

One stray pellet that falls off to the side of the burn pot or is on the edge of the fire and smoldering will toss the readings off into the Ozones real quick.

The EPA ratings are based on the amount of paticulate matter (around 2.5 grams per hour IIRC) are whats measured.

Any appliance that burns anything can/does give off Carbon monoxide.

As long as the fire is not lazy and very orange in color, you are about as good as it gets.

A home wood fire can produce CO levels near 5000 PPM

The forced air pellet stove should see levels far lower than that of an uncontroled wood fire

The only way your going to get any real numbers is to do some testing with a CO tester.

Stuff the probe into the exhaust stream and see whatcha get.]

My bet is that its going to be in the 500-1000 PPM area with everything in the sweet spot, as far as the stove goes.

Snowy

Well the first set of tests the EPA did with stoves built since 1990 the CO from pellets stoves ranged from 1.8 and 8.17 grams per KG of dry pellets

With 1990 pellet stoves it went from 23 to 155 grams per KG of dry pellets.

The test results were extremely sensitive to burn rate, seems the combustion process wasn't anywhere close to being tuned with those older units.

Snowy Rivers said:
Unfortunately this is about the best you can do here.

With the flame in the pot burning with a bright yellow to slightly blue at its base, your at the best you can hope for.

No manufacture of current stoves could do more than test a stove under idea conditions and report what they see.

These are not a closed loop system with computer adjustments on the fuel and air entering the combustion chamber.

An ideal setup is not at all likely here.

One stray pellet that falls off to the side of the burn pot or is on the edge of the fire and smoldering will toss the readings off into the Ozones real quick.

The EPA ratings are based on the amount of paticulate matter (around 2.5 grams per hour IIRC) are whats measured.

Any appliance that burns anything can/does give off Carbon monoxide.

As long as the fire is not lazy and very orange in color, you are about as good as it gets.

A home wood fire can produce CO levels near 5000 PPM

The forced air pellet stove should see levels far lower than that of an uncontroled wood fire

The only way your going to get any real numbers is to do some testing with a CO tester.

Stuff the probe into the exhaust stream and see whatcha get.]

My bet is that its going to be in the 500-1000 PPM area with everything in the sweet spot, as far as the stove goes.

Snowy
thanx, i flushed my CO digital detector with the exhaust & got a 56 ppm reading , guess that aint bad?

I would say thats pretty good.

some older cars wont pass that spec me thinks.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.