Cold weather snuck up on us New Englanders. Swept liner today for first time, care to critique?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
Greetings everyone! I hope that all is well with everyone and whoever has begun burning for this year is finding their stoves to keep them comfortable and warm. My fellow New Englanders will agree that this year the cold has snuck up on us early. Here in CT we got snow a few days ago, I can't remember the last time we got snow in October. As the temps in the house began to sink it became obvious that I should stop procrastinating and prepare our Rainer for her second year in service. So, up on the roof I go with my brand new poly brush and extensions. It went a lot easier than I thought it would, I thought there would be scrubbing involved. Really I just pushed it down and pulled it back up and that was about it. Seemed clean to me after that (photos below). I kind of forced the 6" brush through the oval bit in the fireplace flue, is that a bad idea? I don't want to shred my liner, it seems ok now but for the future. What do you think? (apologies for poor picture quality, pictures taken with my cell phone)

Actually before the pictures I looked at the stove, found one broken brick, is it very important to replace these? It is just cracked but otherwise is still completely there.

Also, experts, anything else I need to check to make sure she is ship-shape for the season? The seal looks fine, glass is OK. Didn't notice any cracks or weld breaks in the body.

Before: Full size picture for those interested
topBeforeSmall.jpg

After: Full size picture for those interested
topAfterSmall.jpg

And one from the stove, sorry for poor light I was doing the best I could with a flashlight:
Full size picture for those interested
fromStoveSmall.jpg

it didnt look that bad to begin with... but it looks better now!

Your "before" looks like my "after". :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.