Color of the secondary Burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2011
Bar Harbor, Maine
My PE Summit, when started with kindling will go into secondary burn very very quickly, I mean as soon as the fire is fully burning.

I've always figured that the color of the flame is indicative of the temperature of the flame, but in a wood fire this is not true. The color is dependent on the stuff in the wood that is being burned.

But.... I can adjust the color of the secondary burn by adjusting the primary air intake. If I adjust that so that the fire produced long spikes of purplish-blue-even white flame, am I getting less creosote burning? Or doesn't it really make any difference.

I've searched on-line for this, but have not found any answer.

Wood impurities may influence the flame color, but the temp is still a guideline. I know I have thing set right when I start seeing blue/purple flames regardless of the wood.

I always figured blue was hottest even with wood..but I don't know.

BeGreen said:
Wood impurities may influence the flame color, but the temp is still a guideline. I know I have thing set right when I start seeing blue/purple flames regardless of the wood.

So you delibertately set the primary draft for the blue/purple flames and avoid the yellow orange flames if you can except in start up?

[del]
TheOnlyZarathu said:
BeGreen said:

So you delibertately set the primary draft for the blue/purple flames and avoid the yellow orange flames if you can except in start up?
[/del]

HotCoals said:

I think it can be deceiving.

Once a year or so, about the time I start wondering if I'm nuts for saying to so many folks that they need to search for drier wood, I'll prove to myself its importance and grab a stove load of 6mo split and stacked wood to see how it goes. Did that about a week ago and after that SOB finally got to burning and settled in, it had the most beautiful blue / purple flames in the firebox that I had ever seen in that quantity.

Now, that was a full load that took an hour and a 1/2 to get up to "normal" temps (20 minutes of that at about the 1 hour mark involved a hair dryer on high speed stuck up my stove's air hole) and once cruising I still had to leave the air open 50% or more. In the end the stove top temps were no where near as high as I normally get, the load burned up in about 2/3 the time, but man did it look pretty!

If I had never burned anything but less than well seasoned wood to compare to, I would have sworn I was doing something right by the color of those beautiful flames alone

pen

pen said:
HotCoals said:

I think it can be deceiving.

Once a year or so, about the time I start wondering if I'm nuts for saying to so many folks that they need to search for drier wood, I'll prove to myself its importance and grab a stove load of 6mo split and stacked wood to see how it goes. Did that about a week ago and after that SOB finally got to burning and settled in, it had the most beautiful blue / purple flames in the firebox that I had ever seen in that quantity.

Now, that was a full load that took an hour and a 1/2 to get up to "normal" temps (20 minutes of that at about the 1 hour mark involved a hair dryer on high speed stuck up my stove's air hole) and once cruising I still had to leave the air open 50% or more. In the end the stove top temps were no where near as high as I normally get, the load burned up in about 2/3 the time, but man did it look pretty!

If I had never burned anything but less than well seasoned wood to compare to, I would have sworn I was doing something right by the color of those beautiful flames alone

pen

laff.gif

Good report..I often wondered if it was the same deal as nat gas or propane.

With seasoned wood when i start seeing blue flame the stove usually gets a little hotter.But with unseasoned wood it can be very pretty but with all the moisture it can trick you.

BeGreen said:

+1 . . . although if the temps are good in the flue and in the stove and I am getting good secondaries I can live with just about any color flame in the firebox . . . other than pink . . . pink flames are just not manly enough for me.

But yeah . . . when I see blue or even purple flames I know I'm generating some serious BTUs and burning pretty darn cleanly.

Coleman Stove said:
HotCoals said:

Well technically isn't white supposedly the hottest color a flame can get too?
Could be..I dunno.
I have also heard the heat is hottest just past the flame.

The only time I get blue or purple flames is when the wood is starting to enter the coaling stage. Maybe it is because I am burning pine and the sap is so rich. My flames are super bright almost white like a lighter flame or gas lantern.

Status
Not open for further replies.