Comfort Glow CBT30NT - Pilot Lights After Years of No Use, Main Burner Does Not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SFC_RPM

Nov 23, 2021
Chicago
Hello Everyone,
I have a Comfort Glow CBT30NT Wall Natural Gas Heater. Unit was manufactured in 07/2004. The valve is a Sit EuroSit 630. Worked fine in the basement for years, had to take it off the wall and store it in the garage for about 5-6 years, and just reinstalled it in the same location. Used all the same piping and assembly as I did when I first installed it. Now, the pilot lights, and looks strong, but as soon as I move the control from pilot to a desired temperature, the pilot drops down in height, to barely a flame, and the main burner does not light. Eventually the safety kicks I can hear a clunk, and I get a flame out.

I've tried cleaning off the thermocouple with some steel wool, and there's no difference.
I can see that I get gas at the main burner, because I tried lighting it myself.
If I take a long reach lighter, like something you'd light a grill with, and keep it on the thermocouple, the unit stays lit, including the main burner, but just barely.

I can't tell if I somehow no longer have enough pressure in the system, or more likely, years of sitting dormant in a garage has caused damage somewhere in the system.

I can provide pictures and more information for anyone who might be able to help me.

Thanks,
- Rob

Have you checked the pressure at the gas valve? Have you tried blowing compressed air into the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) on the back side of the pilot tube? If that small hole gets plugged, the sensor thinks there is not enough O2 in the area & will shut the unit down...