Computer Audio Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panhandler

Minister of Fire
Aug 24, 2008
WV Northern Panhandle
Looking for a little help. My son borrowed the speakers from my computer. When they were returned, no sound. The speakers work on his system, not mine. Any ideas?

Did you plug them into the correct jack (some sound setups have multiple jacks that are the same size easy to plug the speakers into a line in or microphone jack) and is the volume control turned up on the computer or did you use earphones while the system was borrowed and still have the earphones plugged in?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Did you plug them into the correct jack (some sound setups have multiple jacks that are the same size easy to plug the speakers into a line in or microphone jack) and is the volume control turned up on the computer or did you use earphones while the system was borrowed and still have the earphones plugged in?

Yes, plugged into correct jack, it has about 5, tried them all. Volume control up. No headphones. Thanks for the reply.

External computer speakers are generally powered externally (battery, wall-wart). You might look there, to see that they're powered. The audio card generally does not provide power (at low impedance) but simply signal voltage (at much higher impedance.)

does your system have digital audio out (HDMI or other)?

When you unplugged the speakers it may have sensed it and switched audio ports and is too stupid to switch back on it's own (sister-in-laws HP does this)

Status
Not open for further replies.