Condensation on Inside of Hopper Lid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I am still new to this and feeling my way - happily - through some twists and turns, so bear with me if this question is too obvious to believe!

This morning, for the first time I noted condensation on the inside of the hopper lid. Is this a problem? I assume the source of the moisture is the pellets themselves, but they seem intact and like all the others I have burned so far.

Grateful for any input from those who know these things.

If you are storing your pellets outside in the cold, bring in a couple of bags
to warm up before throwing them into the hopper.
Will help reduce the condensation from extreme temperature swings

tinkabranc said:
If you are storing your pellets outside in the cold, bring in a couple of bags
to warm up before throwing them into the hopper.
Will help reduce the condensation from extreme temperature swings

X2^^^^^^

where is your stove loacted and how is it vented?

Eric

I have been burning American Wood Fiber pellets (purchased from HD where they were stored outside. They opened a new pallet for me and there was no visible water or moisture under the encapsulation.)

I have been storing about 4 bags in the house, which I replenish on a rotating basis from the shed, so there was probably not a dramatic change in temp when they went into the hopper. Although it is possible that the bag I loaded last night had only come in yesterday afternoon.

The stove is located on the main floor of our roughly 1500 sq. ft. stone and brick house, just inside the front door in a foyer facing the stairs to the second floor, and adjacent to a double wide entryway to the main room.

It is vented through the exterior brick wall behind the stove (construction is plaster over lathe, then air space, sheathing and brick), using the Harman thimble which combines outside air intake with the vent. The vent pipe is ICC, with the flex pipe for the intake.

I suppose the real question is whether this condensation is harmful and/or affects efficiency. if so, what can I do to abate the condition?

Is this a horizontal venting or more than that? i.e 4' vertical rise or something a lot longer and more elbows. Please list each part in the venting starting with the adapter.

eric

There is no vertical run at all.

Exiting the back of the stove is a T with a clean-out to the left as you face the stove. The right side of the T enters a length of pipe about 14" with a slight upward pitch. That piece terminated in an elbow which is attached to the Harman combo thimble.

The total thickness of the wall, from inner plaster face to outer brick face is probably about 8 8 inches or so. Projecting from the outside wall is a length of pipe about 12 - 14", followed by a terminal piece in a shape I would describe as a cone with its tip cut off. There is a screen at the end.

RKS130 said:
There is no vertical run at all.

Exiting the back of the stove is a T with a clean-out to the left as you face the stove. The right side of the T enters a length of pipe about 14" with a slight upward pitch. That piece terminated in an elbow which is attached to the Harman combo thimble.

The total thickness of the wall, from inner plaster face to outer brick face is probably about 8 8 inches or so. Projecting from the outside wall is a length of pipe about 12 - 14", followed by a terminal piece in a shape I would describe as a cone with its tip cut off. There is a screen at the end.

I am having a hard time attempting to picture this set up. Is this all P/L vent? Is there a pice of pipe going completly through the Harman wall thimble? Pictures will help. I have a feeling the condensation is from the venting not the pellets.

Eric

Eric, many thanks for your time. I will work on some pictures as soon as I find the cable to download the darn camera to the computer - which my kids claim no knowledge of, but we will find it.

In the meantime, yes, one piece of pipe goes through the wall from the outside and is attached to the thimble. I will get some photos by the weekend and take more precise measurements as well.

Thanks again.

RKS130 said:
Eric, many thanks for your time. I will work on some pictures as soon as I find the cable to download the darn camera to the computer - which my kids claim no knowledge of, but we will find it.

In the meantime, yes, one piece of pipe goes through the wall from the outside and is attached to the thimble. I will get some photos by the weekend and take more precise measurements as well.

Thanks again.

Email them to [email protected] if that helps.

Thanks Eric, I will do that this weekend. In the meantime, the condition has not recurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.