connector for dvl to duraplus pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smmm

Aug 1, 2010
Ohio
I have a tee support installation through a concrete wall. From the tee there are two 9 inch duraplus sections that go to the thimple and connector.... I had no problem snapping the connector into the wall thimble and it seems to snug into the dvl pipe really well.... The problem is that the conector does not seem to snug into the duraplus end very well at all. There is only about 1" of connector that shows on the inside of the thimble and that includes the part of the thimble that the connector snaps into. It slides into the duraplus section easily but seems to be a loose conncection and can be removed very easily. So my concern is that there is only one inch of overlap where the connector goes into the duraplus and it is a very loose connection.... It does not snap in or seat itself in any way.... I am wondering if this is normal.... If not how do I fix the problem....

Last question is when I join the connector to the duraplus there seems to be small voids around the inside wall where it seems like smoke will escape through the inside wall of the pipe.... Will these somehow seal themselves???? It also seems as though these voids are unavoidable as they seem to be made where the inside walls of the pipe were crimped together...

Thanks!

Are you using the DVL adapter ring + finishing collar?

I am using the dvl adapter ring that is 2 1/2" in length. It is snapped into the round part of the wall thimble. I think you are talking about the htc duraplus. I am using the regular duraplus and the instruction do not call for a finishing collar... I do not think they make a finishing collar for the regular duraplus.

The DVL adapter should install and then lock into place. It provides about a 1" "start sleeve that the DVL mates with. Be sure that the DVL pipe is being installed in the correct direction. It should mate flush with the wall trim when it is installed.

No finishing collar is required when connecting to Dura Plus - only the close clearance adapter (connector ring.) It should slide inside the class A chimney and lock into the little groove inside. If its loose, remove the adapter and check that the little tangs aren't crushed or deformed. Bending them out slightly and carefully may help.

Everything is in the right direction... There aren't any grooves for the connector to snap into on the duraplus pipe... It does lock into the dvl pipe though... The connector is fine... The duraplus pipe is very smooth with no grooves??? The connector goes to the inside of the dvl pipe and the outside of the duraplus pipe.... It does not go to the inside of the pipe... It will snap to the wall thimble and the other end to the dvl pipe. There is no way to snap it to the duraplus...

Ok, the Dura Plus adapter does go around the outside of the inner Class A wall and is supposed to lock in place by engaging part of the wall thimble assembly. It's not a very good connection IMO and is a bit sloppy even in the shop.

Here is a link to the close clearance adapter-

http://woodheatstoves.com/6-close-clearance-adapter-p-9399.html

It goes over the inner wall of the Dura Plus and snaps into the edge of the inner part of the wall thimble opening. It should fit pretty tight because they are one way snaps and I've had a hard time trying to get the pieces apart again. All the DVL pipe sections should be screwed together and screwed to the stove collar so everything is secure.

Just a thought.. Do you have the chimney passing through the wall without the pass-through/thimble assembly? People do it all the time with concrete walls but unfortunately with Dura-Plus it needs the actual pass-through assembly to lock the adapter in place.

Thanks for the replies... I found out that the thimble needed to be secured to the hole in my concrete. I saw it in the directions but thought that was only if it was framed. You were right, the thimble is what secures it only if the inside portion of the wall thimble is secured. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.