conservatory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leoibb

Dec 29, 2010
uk
i am building a conservatory and considerin a small stove in there , i have considered a chimney breat to allow flue pipe to travel through. i dont wanna go to the expence of flexibnle flue liner i am considerin some other pipe to use which would be the diameter required but atr less cost.
any suggestions? and recomendations on stoves, prob no more than 3 kw , dont want large stove as its only one room and a lot of glass and plastic

All that glass and plastic is going to radiate out heat quickly at night and when there is no sun or snow is blocking incoming light. We have a 12' x 24' greenhouse with an older Jotul 602 in it that works out well. I would consider a small Morso or Jotul and connect it properly with a straight up double wall flue pipe. This is a short flue that you want to work well. Using doublewall pipe will keep the flue gases hotter, while keeping the clearances to any nearby combustibles lower.

hello thanks for that, how does the flue exit the roof? i am considering buildin a chimney for it so the pipe is hiden away , but yes if its only gonna be a 3 metre run of pipe it aint gonna cost a lot so may as well use the right stuff

We have a 12 x 22 ft. greenhouse with a wood stove in it. We've had the greenhouse for over 20 yr., but this is our first winter with a stove in it. So, limited experience....

Our stove does quite well warming the place up, though a few hr. after the fire goes out, it is beginning to be chill out there. But while the fire is going, very nice.

In our case, the back [away from the sun, north-facing] part of the roof is "regular" roof, wood/insulation/steel roofing. So, I was able to adapt normal through the ceiling/roof parts for the chimney.

In your case, if your roof is glass or acrylic or something, you will probably have to come up with a clever way to adapt regular parts. If the roof consists of individual panels, which I assume it does, you will likely want to completely replace the panel through which you want the stove pipe to pass with something solid, such as wood or metal. Then you can simply run the pipe through, such as you would in a shed or garage. If you are going out the wall behind the stove, same thing, remove and replace the glass panel.

There are many more sunrooms/conservatories/greenhouses over there than here in the states. Almost ubiquitous in some areas over there. Which means perhaps someone over there can give you some ideas. I am just picturing in my mind and am a do-it-myself type.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with. It is a good idea, unless you are thinking you can heat the room 24/7 with a small stove.

thankyou for that, i think the chimney idea might work well and make the wall a feature if done right,
im wandering about the convecting stoves, whether they would suit more?
be nice to have some sort of convection running through the cavity in the dwarf wall and coming out of grills in two or three places, think my mind is off away again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.