Contr0l Wire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite connecting with your question. Cat5e is data cable, designed for digital communications, I believe. Not the same as regular thermostat cable using 24vac. My bet is that if you have a 24vac control circuit, use a heavier gauge thermostat cable if you are concerned with distance. If a digital control line, use Cat 5e.

Depends on how long... If your crossing the ac at right angles it could be touching and would not be a problem. If they will be parallel for a couple hundred feet I would keep
them a couple feet apart or at least on opposite sides of the trench/joist bay...

For optimal performance stay 12" minimum from 110VACD and 24" from 220VAC. Cross at right angles where necessary.

NEC: Article 800.52 (A)(2) does say that there should be separation between power and communication cables, BUT Exception 1 reads: "Where either (1) all of the conductors of the electric light, power, Class 1, non-power-limited fire alarm, and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits are in a raceway or in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, NONMETALLIC-SHEATHED, Type AC, or Type UF cables, or (2) all of the conductors of communications circuits are encased in raceway."

So, if you have properly shielded wire (line AC and low voltage) they CAN be together, but best practices are to keep them 12 inches apart. You get a lot of noise on the line AC and be your boiler control is not well protected from nise (or whatever you are controlling).

[I grabbed these quotes from some Google searches but they are standard practice]

Status
Not open for further replies.