Contract price for LP - $1.49 per gallon - Is this a good price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thz123

Jan 8, 2009
IOWA
I live in Iowa, and just received my LP contract. The price per gallon is $1.49. What are you seeing for a contract price? Is this a good price for 2010-2011 season?

I live in IA and just guessing but I dont think it will get much cheaper than that.

My girlfriend filled her tank up with a special price of $1.79 from the company she uses. That price was only good till the end of July. Now its $2.01 and she paid as high as $2.60 last winter. I would jump on $1.49 and get all I could if I didn't burn wood and used LP.

Shipper

1.49 sounds pretty darn good! We got our pre-buy notice in the mail this week and this years price is 1.76.

Up here we were offered $1.99/gal as a prebuy price. That price is good thru June 2011, but we would have to put the money into their account now. If the market price falls below that, they give us the lower price until the price rises or our account runs out. I would jump on $1.49/ gallon if I needed propane right now.

I think you have to compare to local pricing. Regional propane prices vary pretty dramatically. In our area, propane is much higher.

I locked in for $1.39 but they charged me $40.00 for the privilege of doing so.
Joe

Hell yes!

Thanks for all the input! I contracted 700 gallons at the $1.49 price. 700 gallons is what I use for an entire year, since i also burn pellets in my basement. I will use a ton and a half of pellets. I bought the pellets at $4.00 a bag, waiting for them to arrive yet. A friend who lives 20 minutes away from me in Wisconsin was quoted a price of greater than $2.00 a gallon, he didn't remember the exact amount.

Propane delivered to my house this morning in Central IN for 1.89/gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.