Convection Air Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy118

Sep 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
OK,, fiddlin' around again,,,,
stove on a 5-2 day programmable t-stat. Set at 68 for the most part. Took the remote probe thermometer out of the smoker and put it in the vent a little left of center where the hot air blows out. At about 200-210 the room fan kicks in. Stove is set at Heat 7 abd Blower 8. Room temp @ 60 when I fire it up. Convection air gets all to way to 500+. Burning PrestoLogs from Lowe's at the time.

Am I supposed to be this giddy about the amount of heat this little black box is producing?????

My wife is convinced I am nuts after she saw me taking pictures of the thermometer,,,, just to have a record. Sorry but the pics are at home and I'm just here goofing off at work now.......

John

What part of NE PA are you in?

about 8 miles north of Scranton,,, in the booming metropolis of Eynon.

John

Nice, I work in Scranton.

Sounds like you are measuring steel temperatures, not air temps. If you were actually blowing 500 degree air into the room, you'd have one helluva safety hazard. Think about it. Try to suspend the probe in the center of the vent. Also, move it across the vent area and see the major difference in temps.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/64123/ this shows a series of experiments I did last year with the help of several others on here like Smokey, Czech, B-mod.

Murphy118 said:
about 8 miles north of Scranton,,, in the booming metropolis of Eynon.

John

And why are you not burning coal in one of the new, efficient, clean coal stokers at $170 a ton? No, it doesn't stink. No, it's not hard to light. No, it's not any dirtier than pellets. And all the other misconceptions people have about burning coal. :)

http://www.buildinggreen.com/calc/fuel_cost.cfm This will show you how much you could have saved.

http://www.readingstove.com/heating-stoves/coal-stoves/

http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/698400.html

http://www.keystoker.com/

All are made right in your backyard.

And why are you not burning coal in one of the new, efficient, clean coal stokers at $170 a ton? No, it doesn’t stink. No, it’s not hard to light. No, it’s not any dirtier than pellets. And all the other misconceptions people have about burning coal.

Because I got the Emglander for basically 0$ after rebate from Uncle Sam,,,,, and it's just so much darn fun!!!!!

John

Murphy118 said:
And why are you not burning coal in one of the new, efficient, clean coal stokers at $170 a ton? No, it doesn’t stink. No, it’s not hard to light. No, it’s not any dirtier than pellets. And all the other misconceptions people have about burning coal.

Because I got the Emglander for basically 0$ after rebate from Uncle Sam,,,,, and it's just so much darn fun!!!!!

John

:) :cheese:

Murphy118 said:

John

How did you get it for nothing using the rebate??????? My rebate if I recall was 30% of the total cost.

I got my new Big E for nothing... but not from gov't rebates... the In-laws split it 50/50 as a Christmas gift for me and the wife. Although it will be used in my garage so it was basically for me. :)

Got Stove for $850 on sale at HD,,,, came with a free ton of pellets,,,,used a 10% coupon,,,,,after installation and assorted other costs and 30% rebate from Fed Gov. stove was basically free,

I fly Rc as well,,,,, was into it really bad for quite a few years,,but haven't been out too much in the past 3 years or so. I guess my interests switched when I bought my Harley 4 years ago....

Wish I could get even half of what I paid for for all those planes in my basement!!!!!would be a bike for the Mrs.!!!!

John

Murphy118 said:
Got Stove for $850 on sale at HD,,,, came with a free ton of pellets,,,,used a 10% coupon,,,,,after installation and assorted other costs and 30% rebate from Fed Gov. stove was basically free,

I fly Rc as well,,,,, was into it really bad for quite a few years,,but haven't been out too much in the past 3 years or so. I guess my interests switched when I bought my Harley 4 years ago....

Wish I could get even half of what I paid for for all those planes in my basement!!!!!would be a bike for the Mrs.!!!!

John

Man, I know exactly how you feel about the investment in planes! That giant scale Corsair just sits there. It's tough for me to fly anymore with my hand shaking nerve problem. I've flown all my life and now I have this Essential Tremor thing! Heck, the landing gear for it cost like $400! All scale paints, servos everywhere!.. :) Want to buy it? I'd rather have a Harley now too! I've run out of places to hang the planes.

I'm just across the river from Wilkes-Barre. Enjoy that pellet stove!!!

500* sounds like your thermometer was touching steel. It would be nice if they got over 500* but its unrealistic. On my Low setting (depending on pellets) I get around 230*. But because you can change your convection blower rate, no matter what heat setting. Your results will vary. The slower the convection blower, the higher the temps (more heat exchange time) ....

And YES. You should be this excited about the black box. They are an awesome hobby and it is quite the money saver (we use LP/way expensive)..

I have had good luck with the Presto's also. For the price, they produce good heat (just below Somersets) and descent ash (darker ash/darker pellet).

Status
Not open for further replies.