Convection Blower is going in reverse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2010
Southern NH
I have a Jamestown J1000 that came with some pipe I bought, have been trying to figure out why it goes off on high temp, notice convection blower was not really putting out much air. Open the stove and watched fan, it looked like it was going in reverse. Took out blower spun the way it was going no air, spun in reverse air flowing good? Can I reverse the white and black wire to make it go this way?? Any suggestions?

No changing the wires will have no effect unless its a DC motor. You will need to purchase another motor that is turning in the right direction. I would assume someone replaced the motor with the wrong shaft direction.

Look at the shaft end of the motor and determine if you need CW or CCW. Post some pictures of the motor and housing. I'll also need the RPM. But you should be able to use one of these, here

Check the 4th and 6th ones and they might work. I need to see the picture first!

Thanks Jay, this is an original motor what would make it change direction? The following was on the motor for numbers:

EM3030LH-85 abz-2
115v-60Hz 48w
Z.P. Ins. Class all

The motor has a coil off to the side, open squirrel cage type blower, not like most like my Whitfield. I'll try to post pics if I can get the size reduce.

Northeaster2010 said:
Thanks Jay, this is an original motor what would make it change direction? The following was on the motor for numbers:

EM3030LH-85 abz-2
115v-60Hz 48w
Z.P. Ins. Class all

The motor has a coil off to the side, open squirrel cage type blower, not like most like my Whitfield. I'll try to post pics if I can get the size reduce.

Is there a capacitor in that motor circuit?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Northeaster2010 said:

EM3030LH-85 abz-2
115v-60Hz 48w
Z.P. Ins. Class all

Is there a capacitor in that motor circuit?

I assumed this was a shaded pole motor as most pellet stoves have them. Sounds like the coil is probably a capacitor.

Here is a picture of the blower with motor

Attachments

• J1000ConvectionBlower_1_1.jpg
    J1000ConvectionBlower_1_1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,151
You should be in luck here, It is a shaded pole motor. Maybe some one removed the motor and installed it backwards. You should be able to flip the c-frame on it to change direction.

Jay, not sure what you mean? I thought the outside was the fields and the armature was what rotated inside of it? Here is a closer pic of the motor.

Attachments

• J1000ConvectionMotor_4_1.jpg
    J1000ConvectionMotor_4_1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,138
You right you changing the field direction. Sorry for confusion!

See the attached picture!

Attachments

• J1000ConvectionMotor_4_1.jpg
    J1000ConvectionMotor_4_1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,151
Jay, did what you said, no change in direction?? Any ideas?

Would you please post a picture like the first one. Need to check that it got flipped and not just rotated.

Had company last night now back working on stove, Jay- I understand now "I'm little thick headed", flip the fields. Now before I hook back the wires to the terminals- If I hook them up the same way the wires will be reversed? Before #1 terminal was white wire, #2 was black, if I put them back where the terminals are now the wires will be reversed? Should I hook them this way? Don't won't to fry anything..

Northeaster2010 said:
Had company last night now back working on stove, Jay- I understand now "I'm little thick headed", flip the fields. Now before I hook back the wires to the terminals- If I hook them up the same way the wires will be reversed? Before #1 terminal was white wire, #2 was black, if I put them back where the terminals are now the wires will be reversed? Should I hook them this way? Don't won't to fry anything..

Hook the same wire to the same terminal as they were when you started.

j-takeman said:
hossthehermit said:
Mounted backwards?????

Have you ever change direction on an auger motor? You flip the c-frame section of the motor! The c-frame is the fields.

Yes, I knew what you meant j, and that was my first thought,as well, guess I was typin' while you wuz postin'.

hossthehermit said:
j-takeman said:
hossthehermit said:
Mounted backwards?????

Have you ever change direction on an auger motor? You flip the c-frame section of the motor! The c-frame is the fields.

Yes, I knew what you meant j, and that was my first thought,as well, guess I was typin' while you wuz postin'.

Hoss, I am sure it was my lack of grammer. Never did get decent marks in English class. :) I know what I want to say its just hard saying/typing it! :lol:

Jay- YOUR THE MAN, It worked!!! I attached the pics of the field flipped. So far the stove is running 2hrs +/- no problems. Again thanks greatly for your help!

Attachments

• J1000BlowerMotor2_1.jpg
    J1000BlowerMotor2_1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 914
  • J1000Blower2_1.jpg
    J1000Blower2_1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,047
Way to go Jay :)
Your the Man

In case anyone else has this problem or replacing the unit, putting metal tape around the duck work where the blower attaches helps allot. There is a good size gap between the blower and the duck work 1/4" =/- that air escapes.

I am impressed with the sweet animation that j-takeman did. Dude, you got skills. Well done.

SXIPro said:
I am impressed with the sweet animation that j-takeman did. Dude, you got skills. Well done.

Please read the thread that Jay posted the animation wasn't his. But as to the rest of it Jay does have skills.

SmokeyTheBear said:
SXIPro said:

Please read the thread that Jay posted the animation wasn't his. But as to the rest of it Jay does have skills.

Right Bear, I barrowed it from hearthtools. He deserves the credit for the animation. I love it so I use it were I can. Makes thing simpler to explain. :)

Just paying it forward as they say. Glad I have members like Bear/imacman to back me up! I am not always right and miss some things! We have a good team here that does well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.