Conversion of Water source heat pump from open to closed loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

semipro

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2009
SW Virginia
Any heat pump experts here? I've posted this in an HVAC forum but thought I'd try here too. I'm always amazed a the breadth of expertise here.
"Hello. I'm new to to the forum and need some guidance on our domestic HP system. What I hope to do here is find out whether I should seriously consider converting our existing open-loop system to a closed-loop system. I consider this for several reasons including: possible well contamination by HVAC system, wear on our well pump, energy used by well pump, etc. I'm a real fan of ground source HPs but suspect that most of my energy savings is being eaten up by the energy it takes to lift water 200 ft. only to dump it back down the well.

Here's some basic info on our current configuration:
- 3 Ton Florida heat pump, about 20 years old, seems adequate for our heating needs.
- Heat exchanger fed by domestic drinking water well
- 3 HP well pump set at 300 ft, 500 ft. total well depth, water lies at 200 ft. below surface.
- Well capacity when dug was about 10 GPM
- Water from well pump is stored in a pressure tank in basement
- Water from pressure tank serves domestic and HP uses.
- After water passes through a copper coaxial heat exchanger in the FHP unit it returns to the well (dropping 200 ft.)
- We're located in SW Virginia, 5 acres, hilly, mostly wooded.
- Water is hard and we have a lot of bedrock in the yard. Trenches would be difficult but not impossible.
- I've inspected the inside of the heat exchangers but don't see significant scaling.
- We have no surface water sources.
- Water temp entering the from the DW well HP is about 49 F

Hopefully the info above is sufficient to help answer the question at hand: is it worth serious consideration to convert to a closed loop system? If yes, I'll start investigating alternatives such as:
- installing a closed loop in my existing well
- investigating trenching on our property
- Other options?

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I'd appreciate links to previous discussions or search keyword suggestions. I know well what its like to see recurring issues come up in a discussion board.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.