Converting from analog to digital – DIY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadstar

Mar 11, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Has anyone ever converted their insert from an analog control panel to a digital panel? It seems like a straight forward, although it might be time consuming, process that any homeowner can do. However, things aren’t always as they seem so I thought I’d ask first. I’m not going to do it until the current control panel fails but I wanted to get a heads up on what might be involved.

I have a Breckwell P24I insert. Replacing the harness seems simple enough on the surface. Any other parts that might need replacing? I do not have an igniter and I’m hoping that will not be a problem.

Thanks

This interests me as I was contemplating making a home made pellet stove. There are some interesting open source controller codes out there now. I believe Adrino is one (might have spelled that wrong...lol and I'm gonna build a pellet stove ....right!). I was also thinking of using a controller from another stove. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Hmmmmmm

I will weigh in on this one and probably rant a bit.

A pellet stove is a simple device (should be) to burn pellet fuel and heat the house.

The controls can be simple or complex.

The bottom line is that the controls need to run the fans (exhaust and the room air) plus intermitently operate the auger to feed pellets into the fire.

The controls simply put, feed pellets for a given time usually one to two seconds of auger on time and then from three to ten seconds of off time.

The off time is normally what the heat range control acts on.

So with the control set on LOW many stoves will feed for 2 seconds and then burn for 10 seconds.

The faster you feed the fuel the bigger the fire.

Analogue Vs Digital.

I have rewired one of my Witfields using Off the shelf Mosfet timers.
These are simple adjustable timers that can be set for on and off time.
The other item needed is the start up timer that routes power around the low temp snap switch until there is enough heat to close the switch and engage the normal run circuit.

This is simple, reliable and sturdy.

There is absolutely no advantage to digital controls with a LED that flashes codes or any other stuff.

The touch pads are far more fragile than a few heavy duty switches to control the timers.

There is no reason to bolt on such complexity to a box that has a fire in it.

Once the engineers get it in there head that a computer can be hooked up to something, the reliability goes south and the cost goes up.

To have an auto start and auto temp adjustments it takes more electronics and a processor is a must have.

Simple is better in my opinion.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it becomes to stop up the drain"

My refit was very inexpensive and retains all the safeties and the control is similar with a master switch, a start button, a heat range pot and a fan speed switch.

The two timers are industrial type off the shelf technology.

Now with my rant done, if your stove needs a new control, the likleyhood is that the manufacture will have updated their controls and the new panel will be digital.

Just some thoughts

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.