Converting insert to freestanding woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chash

Dec 2, 2010
NW Ohio
I have an old Fire Boss fireplace insert that I am installing as a freestanding wood stove in the basement of my new home.

I have already constructed an 8" tall base with 4 legs from angle iron. I am planning to set the base on ceramic tile on concrete basement floor.

The smoke outlet on insert is on top, rectangular, and measures 6"x8". I need to adapt this to 8" double wall pipe. I chose 8" based on the square inches of outlet. Are such adapters available or should I just fabricate one from 1/4" steel?

My next question is: How do I determine the clearance from the back of stove to the studded wall behind it?

I also would like advice on routing double wall black pipe from insert outlet to chimney hole in ceiling. The lateral distance is 37" center to center based on 18" rear clearance. The vertical distance is 63". If this doesn't make sense, the chimney hole is in a 26"Wx33"D recess. Should I run the lateral horizontally or would I gain by less severe angles?

I will welcome all advice and comments on this installation. Thank you.

Pictures might help here. Also, any idea if this is intended to be set up as freestanding - such as from a manual?

This sounds like completely undocumented usage. The insert is designed to be in a masonry enclosure and will need 36" clearances from combustibles in all directions as described. These clearances may be reduced with an NFPA 211 wall shield.

2lvh1uh.jpg

insert in foreground, recess beside stairway in background

2059zec.jpg

side view of insert

avoom1.gif

bottom of chimney in recess

apg385.jpg

firebox

33zfaxk.gif

top of insert

Status
Not open for further replies.