Copper hits record high

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
Just thought this might be of interest to someone. Seems everything else is going up to.

woodsmaster said:
Just thought this might be of interest to someone. Seems everything else is going up to.
Is there a missing link? One does not come up on my computor. I sell scrap so this was interesting, Randy

Tarm Sales Guy said:
what are you getting for scrap copper in your area, Randy? (used to be in the business). Chris
Hi Chris, I just took over some #2 Friday for $3.25 a pound, #1 was about $3.50 & bare bright about $3.70. What is amazing is the load of junk sheet iron I took over for $260 a ton, I can remember the $10.00 a ton days Chris, Randy

But, but, .....Bernanke and the fed government say there's no inflation.............

It's coming down some now. About 10 days ago was the peak. Could jump again in the next 45-60 days.
Got $3.90 for #1 bare bright 2 weeks ago.
Word on the market is it will remain fairly high till fall.

Great. I suppose we'll now have more power outages due to idiots trying to steal copper from the substation. :mad:

WhitePine said:
Great. I suppose we'll now have more power outages due to idiots trying to steal copper from the substation. :mad:

Some Railroad systems in Europe were visited by international crime gangs who were steeling hugh amounts of copper that were to be used to fix or upgrade railroad infrastructure.
Was running in the Miljons of Euro's

Singed Eyebrows said:
woodsmaster said:
Is there a missing link? One does not come up on my computor. I sell scrap so this was interesting, Randy

Sorry forgot the link, cant find the article now. It said that on the world markit copper hit 10,100 / ton. I dont Know what that translates to at the scrap yard as they have to make some money to. Tin also hit a record high, and most metals went up do to strong demand in china and unrest in egypt.

heaterman said:
But, but, .....Bernanke and the fed government say there's no inflation.............

well at least milks cheap, for now.

WhitePine said:
My brother works for the local power co & yes that is is a problem already. A friend lives in Costa Rica & they steal live high voltage wire there sometimes with dire results, Randy

to sell scrap here they require a signed statement, proof of you - drivers license and of course the digitized thumb print. I have and email showing the effects of stealing Line voltage power cables. Two people melted to the ground 20% left of each one.

Singed Eyebrows said:
Tarm Sales Guy said:
what are you getting for scrap copper in your area, Randy? (used to be in the business). Chris
Hi Chris, I just took over some #2 Friday for $3.25 a pound, #1 was about $3.50 & bare bright about $3.70. What is amazing is the load of junk sheet iron I took over for $260 a ton, I can remember the $10.00 a ton days Chris, Randy

Me too.I remember back in the mid 90's when it was $15-17/ton,was hardly worth the gas to haul a ton of rebar cutoffs or stubs from 16ga steel studs less than 3 miles from jobsite downtown to the scrapyard.In 2008 I was working for a small demolition company,we removed almost 20 ton from a large furniture retailer warehouse remodel- 2 story steel staircase with mezzanine & heavy steel decking under concrete slab,railings,heavy sprinkler pipe hung from ceiling,bar joists,structural angle & channel,other odds & ends.Price was $290/ton if I'm not mistaken.

Thistle said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Tarm Sales Guy said:

Me too.I remember back in the mid 90's when it was $15-17/ton,was hardly worth the gas to haul a ton of rebar cutoffs or stubs from 16ga steel studs less than 3 miles from jobsite downtown to the scrapyard.In 2008 I was working for a small demolition company,we removed almost 20 ton from a large furniture retailer warehouse remodel- 2 story steel staircase with mezzanine & heavy steel decking under concrete slab,railings,heavy sprinkler pipe hung from ceiling,bar joists,structural angle & channel,other odds & ends.Price was $290/ton if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, I used to look at the scrap trucks piled high with old bicycles stoves & other junk felt it was almost a waste of time. Now they have real money on the truck, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.