COPPER QUESTION?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
Can anyone tell me why a 1-1/4 copper 90 is $2.92 at pex supply.com and everywhere else I look they are anywhere from $6.50 to $9.00. Do they carry cheaper quality products or would they be a sufficient supplier?

Be patient and do daily searches on ebay. Some great deals comes along.

jebatty said:

My prediction is that copper prices are going to fall at least 50% in the next year. If you can hold out till then, you'll get your fittings a lot cheaper !

Your queston seems to be "is pex supply selling low quality copper? I can't answer that but I have done some business with them and have always been happy with their service and quality.

patch53 said:
jebatty said:

My prediction is that copper prices are going to fall at least 50% in the next year. If you can hold out till then, you'll get your fittings a lot cheaper !

Good luck with that prediction! Copper was already down 20% in May from 12 months prior. It's been on the increase since then. If the economy improves and demand picks up I think you'll be hard pressed to see any major drops in the next 12 months. Most metals have been on the rise recently. Sheet/coil steel is up 84% since last June.

stee6043 said:
patch53 said:
jebatty said:

Good luck with that prediction! Copper was already down 20% in May from 12 months prior. It's been on the increase since then. If the economy improves and demand picks up I think you'll be hard pressed to see any major drops in the next 12 months. Most metals have been on the rise recently. Sheet/coil steel is up 84% since last June.

Hauled a load of scrap to the salvage yard recently and the manger there said their company wonks are calling for steady if not spectacular increases in metal prices for the foreseeable future. If you study the ratio of production capacity and known reserves vs demand for copper I think the trajectory is nowhere but up. Maybe a hitch here and there but barring a total global meltdown it's probably it's not going to get any cheaper.

jimdeq said:
Can anyone tell me why a 1-1/4 copper 90 is $2.92 at pex supply.com and everywhere else I look they are anywhere from $6.50 to $9.00. Do they carry cheaper quality products or would they be a sufficient supplier?

Not sure of the quality of their fittings but I just bought 2 heat manifolds from them. The exact same ones Menard's has, and saved around $400.00 Free shiping too.

I bought some copper fitting from Pexsupply a couple of years ago. They appeared to be the same quality as the fittings I payed considerably more for here at Menards. I've had no problems with them.

stee6043 said:
patch53 said:
jebatty said:

Auminum, copper, and just about all other base metals are all falling sharply in response to reduced demand. The high prices from last year were nothing but speculation of a global recovery. It ain't gonna happen. The "debt bombs" are just starting to go off around the globe and the pain is just beginning. I'll stick with my prediction that copper will see $2 long before it see's $4 again, if ever again in my lifetime !

patch53 said:
stee6043 said:
patch53 said:
jebatty said:

Auminum, copper, and just about all other base metals are all falling sharply in response to reduced demand. The high prices from last year were nothing but speculation of a global recovery. It ain't gonna happen. The "debt bombs" are just starting to go off around the globe and the pain is just beginning. I'll stick with my prediction that copper will see $2 long before it see's $4 again, if ever again in my lifetime !

Please tell me where you get your metals! I could save my employer millions this quarter if this were true. I track copper, AL and 6 types of hot rolled steel products monthly. Nucor, American Metal Market and Kitco (moderate sized players in the metal markets) are not following your statement above. Demand has increase significantly in the past 6 months and following drastic cuts in capacities by all US mills last year they are having a hard time keeping up right now. Hence the higher demand, higher prices. Total output may still be down from 2-3 years ago, but so is total capacity. Some materials are even on allocation right now...

Be careful. There's copper drain pipe which only has about 1/4'' to solder to and then pressure type copper fittings that have maybe 1'' on each end that can be soldered. I learned the hard way! The prices differ drastically.

Not sure if this is the case with pexsupply's fittings but there are fittings out there that are made out of thinner metal. (not necessarily a terrible thing, but) While putting together a system recently, we weighed out some fittings and found that some less expensive fittings we had also weighed less.

PexSupply.com's wrought copper fittings are Cello brand. Made, start to finish, in Canada. I can only assume they work on a larger volume/ smaller margin basis.

One of the things that I appreciate about PexSupply.com is that they put the brand info in the part description. Most web stores don't give you that information right up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.