Core drilling multiple holes through basement wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hartkem

Jan 24, 2012
KC
So I have my 1 1/4 thermopex and 2" conduit waiting to be installed. My trench is open and I have about an 18-24" wide hole dug 36" deep by the basement wall. I will be installing one patable water line at the lowest point in the trench, then my thermopex and conduit. Two 3" holes and one 8" hole will be required to accomplish my goal. My question is what is the best way to position the holes? Should the two small holes be drilled on top of each other and the larger one to the side? Or all three of them at the same height in a row? I don't want to compromise the wall but the potable water line needs to be 36" deep and I would prefer to keep the thermopex as deep as possible. No issues with ground water. How far apart should I keep them?

I ran my water line and Logstor at the lowest level. my water line was dug under the frost wall of my garage and quickly dropped to 6', which is the accepted depth for water here. I drilled another six inch hole near the Logstor and put in one 2" and two 1-1/2" conduits. Use hydraulic cement around them.

2" for power to building
1-1/2" for any high voltage wires, 3 way switch for shed?
1-1/2" for any low voltage lines, Internet, phone, satellite

gg

I ran my water line and Logstor at the lowest level. my water line was dug under the frost wall of my garage and quickly dropped to 6', which is the accepted depth for water here. I drilled another six inch hole near the Logstor and put in one 2" and two 1-1/2" conduits. Use hydraulic cement around them.

2" for power to building
1-1/2" for any high voltage wires, 3 way switch for shed?
1-1/2" for any low voltage lines, Internet, phone, satellite

gg

Maybe check at one of the concrete chat rooms. One rule of thumb I've heard is 12" between multiple holes. Missing the rebar is the trick with multiple holes :) Too many holes could present structural issues, especially in a wall without any rebar.

Also is water leakage is ever a concern check into one of these flexible seals. These seal inside and outside and allow some movement as the pipe will "grow" when it goes from hot to cold, both in OD and length. Metraseal is this brand.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-22 at 1.40.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-06-22 at 1.40.12 PM.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 182
I would put them at the same elevation so the supporting fill under them is well compacted so the pipes do not settle and shear off. There is a lot of soil weight above them. I am an excavation contractor and I do my own core boring for pipe penetration's. Plumbing code now requires a sleeve 2 pipe sizes larger than the pipe that will be passing through the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.