corn stove questions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike in ct

Sep 18, 2008
nw ct
hello all,

new here, have some questions . a friend just gave me a nesco corn stove - model mh18250 , manufatured in 1997. it was given to him and he never used it and did not know much about it, other than guy said it worked. i looked in the hopper and it was full of pellets, not corn. i know some of the newer stoves burn both, and more, but is it ok to burn in this stove. also i want to install this in a walkout basement, on a raised heart. my opening in wall for vent is 3 1/2' above stove outlet, so it would come out of stove in rear, 90 deg elbow up 3 1/2' and 90 deg elbow out. does this sound ok? only reason i ask is because i found nesco website, and they show it venting straight out back of stove thru wall. nothing said of my application? website shows a "cherokee 2100" which looks identical to mine, but no answers to my questions there.

also...... i'm in nw ct - 06098, anyone have any tips on where to get corn or pellets cheap near near????

thanks , mike

I don't believe you should burn wood pellets in that. Corn should be ok. You have to be careful about burn back thru the hopper even with corn. I may be wrong though.

yeah i checked there. they said their on backorder and price jumped from $239 tn to $309 tn

oh and what exactly is burn back?

Status
Not open for further replies.