Correcting an Improper Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
OK, I previously posted here and verified things were off a bit - https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/59781/.

Now I'd like to post what I'm thinking about doing to correct it, along with some related questions.

As near as I can tell, the current wall penetration is an 8" Class A pipe - 8" ID and 10" OD. Seems the easiest solution will be to open up the wall a bit, install a thimble around that, extend the Class A into the room, and on to connect with the stove.

First off, how do I figure out what brand of Class A pipe I have now, or does that even matter?

For the thimble, given my spacing inside the wall, I'm thinking something like the DuraPlus 9243N (the 9643 back plate dimensions just don't quite work out). However, my wall thickness is about 9". The 9243 says it's for up to 7-3/4" walls without a field-fabricated extension. In my case I see no need for the extension, as there are no combustibles within 4" or so in the wall. Sound ok?

Coming out from the thimble, I'd use something like a 9" section of DuraPlus Class A in black. That would get me out 4" past the wall, and the end of the Class A would be 6" away from the wood trim on the mantle. From that, I need a finishing collar, an adapter, and 15" of double wall pipe - for that something adjustable would be best for me - perhaps the Metal-Fab 8DWB18A. From that I would just need to connect to the stove - perhaps something like the Metalbest DSP8FSA 8" Flush Stove Adapter.

To think all I had before was single-wall pipe jammed into the stove and the chimney pipe. Ignorance was bliss. :coolsmile:

Once I figure out the parts, I'll order them, and will surely post more on this later.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• Chimney Close Up 1.jpg
    Chimney Close Up 1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 309
  • Chimney Close Up 2.jpg
    Chimney Close Up 2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 286
  • Area view 3.jpg
    Area view 3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 292
Don't know about the pipe but I do know you have some serious looking creosote in that chimney...

Ray

raybonz said:
Don't know about the pipe but I do know you have some serious looking creosote in that chimney...

Ray

Agreed, and that's after a cleaning. Most of the chimney looks pretty good, but not near the bottom. Plan has been to get the Class A extension bit worked out first (for this season) and then work on getting a liner in for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.