Could the smoke smell be a draft problem on Harman p35i insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aries412

Dec 9, 2011
Oregon
Have been fighting smelling smoke issues w/our newly installed insert. (the 2nd one in a month) Trying to narrow it down. The stove itself doesn't seem to be leaking, and we are now thinking it might be a draft problem. The air coming out of the combustion blower smells relatively clean when there is a good roaring fire if we run it on stove temp. But as soon as we run the stove on room temp, the combustion blower smells like smoke (enough to burn our eyes and throats) as the fire dies down and starts back up. The exhaust vent is aprox. 10ft in length 11 if you add the part that extends out of the chimney. We do not have OAK but rather just a vent aprox 3in diameter in the top of chimney. The top of the chimney is sealed. Do you think by extending the exhaust vent by a couple of feet this might help? Thanks for any suggestions.

Can you provide us with a picture of the venting from the outside.

Then can you tell us the venting manufacturer and how it was installed.

If that combustion blower isn't evenly snugged up on the stove it can leak, this is rare but can happen more so on a stove that doesn't use a gasket between the motor mount and the stove. They also can leak around the shaft but they shouldn't if the blower is running at speed.

Usually exhaust system leaks are at the stove adapter and at any clean out tees.

It is also possible for smoke to be drawn down the chimney if it has not been properly blocked off and sealed at the block off plate, the flue must be sealed to the block off plate and the block off plate sealed to the chimney. Fire proof insulation should be placed on the upper side of the block off plate.

Good luck.

Thanks Smokey, I'll try your suggestions.
I'll have to take a closer look at how the chimney is blocked off. I wasn't there when it was installed so I don't know exactly what was done.
Your mention of a gasket between the motor mount and stove, is this something the p35i does not have?
I'll also get picture to post.
Lots going on this weekend, fighting with issue is not what I had planned. grrrrr

Smokey, here's a couple of picts.
Pulled the insert out and it looks pretty clean, no ash etc. The fireplace damper itself is open and the exhaust vent pipe goes up through it and terminates at the end of the chimney. It's a solid flex pipe. There is no fresh air pipe attached to the insert. Just the vent on top of the chimney. We didn't install an OAK, as both dealer and installer says its not needed as it will pull enough clean air from the vent. So I'm thinking I'm going to have them come back out and install an OAK just because I say so. Can't hurt is my thinking.
I really appreciate your input. Happy Holiday

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 411
Happy Holidays.

Well if that flue isn't sealed to a block off plate and that sealed to the chimney that lovely OAK unit on the top plate can be the source of your smoke smell. Something else about that top plate that OAK setup like it is can allow water in and believe me you do not want water running down the chimney, at least this rather old bear wouldn't.

Any more pigs care to comment?

Update:
Whooo whooo~ WE ARE SMOKE FREE. Called installer about contuing smoke prob. He came out and completely resealed the exhaust vent. It must have been a very small leak as we couldn't see any signs. But that is a moot point because it is no longer smoking. Now we only breath fresh hot air. lol
We told him we didn't like the outside air vent set up, with the possibility of water getting in, and that we wanted an OAK. He said he didn't think we needed one, but he will come back and install for free. So that is the next step.
Finally we are enjoying out insert. Just need to tweak the room temp vs stove temp to our liking.
Thanks for your input.
Aries

Glad to hear your issue is resolved. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.