Couple more Encore 2190 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phishheadmi

Oct 1, 2008
Northern MI
OK...I'm getting close (finally) I've got about 3 cords of wood split and stacked in the garage that seems pretty dry, I have all the hearth materials to put that together over the weekend and I'm putting the stove back together evenings this week. It's been a bit more of a project that I anticipated, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and 'm sure it will be well worth it this winter! I do have a couple more questions about my Defiant Encore 2190...first, how can I tell if the primary thermostat is bad without burning the stove? Is this something I should just replace while I have everything open? Second, does the gasket between the stove and flue collar get applied to the stove or flue collar? Is the gasket that's visible on the top of the ash pan door the only one I need to worry about in the ash pan assembly?

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice, this forum's been priceless!

Matt

Matt,
Glad to hear you are almost there, I've been burning my newly rebuilt Encore 2190, and its a great stove! I'm not sure what you mean by checking your Primary thermostat? Do you mean the automatic one, that is on the back of the stove? As for the flue collar, I put my gasket on the flue itself, and then put the collar on top, of course, after I finished installing the new upper fireback. And yes, the only gasket on the ash pan that I could find to replace, was right on the top of the ash pan itself. My only issue is with the new ash pan gasket, the pan fits too tightly, and I have to loosen that up a bit on mine. But I can still get it closed for now. Enjoy the Defiant, she should deliver for you all winter long!
Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the info, good to hear you're burning away and enjoying your newly rebuilt stove! I'm replacing the secondary thermostat on the back of the stove, the one with the probe into the refractory package, but I'm wondering about the primary thermostat. This is on the side of the stove, connected to the primary air handle on the right side. There seems to be a bimetal coil there that I'm assuming controls the primary combustion air, the handle operates the damper on the lower back of the stove fine, but I wonder if the bimetal coil thermostat needs replacing. The guy I bought the stove from had a professional go over it and outline what it needed replacing...he listed the primary thermostat, but I know he didn't have the stove torn apart so I'm wondering if he just assumed it needed to be replaced. It's about a $60 part so I'd rather not replace it if I don't need to....on the other hand, I don't want to get everything back together and find out it needs to be replaced.

Thanks again Bill,

Take care...

Matt

If its in doubt, then its likely $60 well spent. I probably should have looked more closely at my probe in the cat area as well, but I'm afraid I'll be replacing both the cat and refractory next year, so assumed I would do it then. I'm still getting used to my temps and when to engage the cat, but the new thermometer on the griddle top makes life so much easier, that was definitely $10.00 well spent. I still need to move my stove into a corner, only a few feet, but it will need more stove pipe, so there is one small journey left for me with this VC. But I'm running it every night, and its really been a great stove thus far. Well worth the money and time invested so far...
Bill

We've got a first generation encore, mybe 23 years old, and the thermostat is just fine. I had to replace the tiny cable a few years back, but it was an easy job, given the tip sheet and a coat hanger. The secondary/cat thermostats on the encores need replacement regularlly (every 10 - 15 years I'd estimate based on an inadequate sample group), but that's because the probes burn out, and the primary doesn't have a probe. If i t breaks you'll know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.