Cover Your Firewood Long Island

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
It's coming.

Rain.

Had enough rain around here, I need a shed.
Joe

Me too. But for now, cover.

Yep. We get it first. 11/12 and 12/13 are in the shed. Top covered 13/14 this afternoon.

BrotherBart said:
Yep. We get it first. 11/12 and 12/13 are in the shed. Top covered 13/14 this afternoon.

11/12 is top covered or sheltered, 12/13 is gonna have to fend for itself.

11/12 is good to go, top covered. 3 cords for me, 3 cords for the Dixette. With an extra 2 for good measure.

12/13 is half covered half in the process of being stacked, but I have most of it.

13/14 is laying down in the back yard waiting for the chain saws to come back from the shop, with another cord of really truely seasoned coming in next week.

This is good advice. I need to cover my piles. I have some wood in my garage and some wood in a deck box, but I really should get my stacks covered tomorrow night. We'll see what happens. I have to cut the lawn, and I'll probably work later than I want- then when I get home all I want to do is hang out with my family- so really it might not happen til saturday. We'll see.

Dix, you're doing well with your firewood supply. Impressive.

I'm covering mine for the first time this year.

Lot's of rain coming to the northeast and we're probably not going to have anymore long stretches of warm and dry weather.

Kaptain said:

Lot's of rain coming to the northeast and we're probably not going to have anymore long stretches of warm and dry weather.

"anymore"? I don't remember the last long stretch of warn and dry weather. :smirk:

Day before yesterday was our only officially cloud free day since Nov. 10, 2010.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
It's coming.

It's covered, October 19th they are calling for a mixture of ice and rain up here.

zap

Top covered my spring rack last weekend. My fall and winter racks are already covered. The spring rack is mostly birch and maple split small so even though it was cut green last month (thanks, Irene!) I have hopes it will be ready to burn by March or so. If not, I'll just burn more Eco bricks and save it for next fall.

BrotherBart said:
Kaptain said:

"anymore"? I don't remember the last long stretch of warn and dry weather. :smirk:

Day before yesterday was our only officially cloud free day since Nov. 10, 2010.

Haha - agreed... For how it's been this year I consider this current 6-7 day stretch a 'long' one.

I am moving a few days' wood onto the back porch. Mys tacks are just starting to dry out after a month of rain.

I'll get a wheelbarrow-full on the front the porch and let it rain on the rest. A couple hours in the sun takes care of the rain. Maybe if I was on the Island I'd do it differently. :)

Top covering when I get home from work (not that I ever check Hearth.com while I'm working).

Thanks for the reminder.

gabe

Top covering when I get home from work.

Just got in from doing the same. Hopefully in a week or two I'll get it moved into the shed.

KC

I'm tired of covering and uncovering, if you get it hot enough damp or not it will burn.

Glad this years wood has been in the shed since august. Been unbelievable the amount if Rain. The last week has been some good drying weather for sure. Back to a little rain again.

So its official: there's no way in hell I'm covering that wood before this rain comes.

DaFattKidd said:
So its official: there's no way in hell I'm covering that wood before this rain comes.

The only good thing is it's so warm you don't need to fire up.

jatoxico said:
DaFattKidd said:

The only good thing is it's so warm you don't need to fire up.

Yep, we have a week of warm coming, atleast. And that's a good thing :)

I got everything top covered, rain Wed - Fri. I even covered the sopping wet piles. Enough wet/no wood in my life, I'll take it off when it's nice, and it can get stacked.

Some of the best money I ever spent, getting 7 1/2 cords from the $100 a cord guy. Thanks Dom ;-P

That's awesome, Dix. So glad that worked out.

Oh heck. Couple of days of sun and wind and it'll be OK. :coolsmirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.