Cover your Wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Please send to TEXAS!

Zap

Attachments

• 300x200_09271719_flashfloodrisk.jpg
    300x200_09271719_flashfloodrisk.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 947
No Way! I had a friend's-brother's-neighbor's-cousin tell me that water actually helps the seasoning process. So, I typically soak my wood in a 55 gallon barrel for 3 weeks before burning. =P

brianbeech said:
No Way! I had a friend's-brother's-neighbor's-cousin tell me that water actually helps the seasoning process. So, I typically soak my wood in a 55 gallon barrel for 3 weeks before burning. =P
I dont think you are soaking it long enough.

oldspark said:
brianbeech said:

Ive heard you need to soak most wood at least a year....2-3 years for oak.....of coarse - soak it in a cool,dark place.

brianbeech said:
I had a friend’s-brother’s-neighbor’s-cousin tell me that water actually helps the seasoning process.
With those credentials, I guess we've got to accept it as fact. :smirk:

Chances of flooding here is about zero.

Same here. Not much over 1/2" here in past 3 weeks,few sprinkles today not enough to settle the dust even.Quite dry since late June overall.

Thistle said:
Same here. Not much over 1/2" here in past 3 weeks,few sprinkles today not enough to settle the dust even.Quite dry since late June overall.
We have had some good rains over here in NW Iowa up until about a month ago.

Thistle said:

JUST started to rain here as i'm writing (5:50 am).

when i read about how dry some of you guys are, it makes me wonder which is worse?
we're lucky cuz our house is reasonably high and dry so torrential rains don't affect us too badly. not true for many in our area.
but early this summer it was bone dry and we struggled with keeping the garden alive.

but i do get consolation cuz when its dry, i don't have to cut my lawn, the bugs are kept at bay, my wife and i can climb and bike every day off and i can almost hear the firewood checking and cracking!

OT

brianbeech said:

Of course it depends on the mixture of herbs & spices in the marinade you're soaking it in. Do you soak it at room temperature, or in a refrigerator? (Not many of us have walk-in refrigerators, you know.) Takes strong floors, too.

Heavy rain last night here...I'll bet those affected by our recent floods got a bit nervous! Glad I covered this year's wood a week ago :)

muncybob; last I heard on our local T.V. station they say we could get an inch of rain per hour on Friday.

zap

Seriously folks, who actually runs out and covers their stacks every time it looks like rain ?? I can see if there is an impending deluge that will last for days, but the occasional rainy day ?

zapny said:
muncybob; last I heard on our local T.V. station they say we could get an inch of rain per hour on Friday.

zap

Heard something like that for here too. If the extended forecast is correct we may get several days of non-rain next week. Seems that's the way we look at the weather lately around here...rain or non-rain...sheesh!

Trktrd said:
Seriously folks, who actually runs out and covers their stacks every time it looks like rain ?? I can see if there is an impending deluge that will last for days, but the occasional rainy day ?

Yup, there are folks who do this but I certainly would not do it. Once covered, it stays covered until used.

Looks like we will have rain off and on down here in the St. Lawrence River Valley for next 3 days. ZAP, I was up in Lake Placid a few weeks ago for the North Elba 1/2 marathon. (13.1 miles) I completed it in my best time ever. (Still slow.) But I was most impressed with a 12 year old girl who ran her first race ever. Started with her brother and father and left them behind. She ran the half marathon in 1 hour and 30 minutes! She took first place of all females in the race. Ninth fastest overall time. She is going to be a great runner some day. Already is fast. They wrote a news story on her in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise. Anyway, keep your umbrella handy. Have a good one guys.

Uh, I've been keepin' score here outside Gettysburg, PA.

21.1 inches this month.

Several events of flash flooding, none affected me though.

Ground so saturated any half inch or inch of rain brings the streams right up again.

p.s.

wood covered, tops only, at all times, year round.

zapny said:
Please send to TEXAS!

Zap

Thanks for the thought, brotherman. Lord knows we need it desperately.

I filled my one wood shed right before Irene hit, then Lee came along and now this mess. I guess I did the right thing for once.

Jack Straw said:
I filled my one wood shed right before Irene hit, then Lee came along and now this mess.(it has been a very humid September also) I guess I did the right thing for once.

Somehow I quoted myself right in front of god and everybody :sick:

Trktrd said:
Seriously folks, who actually runs out and covers their stacks every time it looks like rain ??

Not me unless it is going to be below freezing for the next 6 months.

wood-fan-atic said:
oldspark said:
brianbeech said:

Ive heard you need to soak most wood at least a year....2-3 years for oak.....of coarse - soak it in a cool,dark place.
You need to add a few pounds of salt to your firewood soaking water, the salt really helps draw the moisture out.

Status
Not open for further replies.