Cozy screen for Harman TL300: Anyone have it? Anyone use it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redhorse

Dec 22, 2010
South Central PA
The Harman TL300 has several options, one which is a "cozy screen" -- allowing you to turn your stove into a fireplace. I've thought about buying one, but I'm curious: for those of you who have this stove and the cozy screen, so you really use it very much? I'd be afraid to leave the front door of this stove open for fear of it going thermonuclear, so I'm curious as to how well the screen works.

Can it only be used with small amounts of wood or with "older" files?

Your stove should behave like mine: with the front door wide open (as opposed to cracked) there should be no thermonuclear events. The fire burns just like a fireplace, very pretty, but also meaning no secondary combustion and a ton of heat up the flue.

When the fire is low, you can get a feel for it by just opening up the door without a screen (but do not leave the stove, of course). I rarely use my screen - I like the wispy ghost flames I can see through the glass.

Do you have the grill? That is a much more useful option, at least for me.

I have the Screen and the grill. I would only use the screen with smaller fire that are already in the coaling stage,since you have to keep the by pass door open to use it. That way it wont run away ,overheat ect. Its not the most efficient way to burn your wood but its as close to an open fireplace as your going to get ,without actually having an open fireplace. Also do it when its warmer outside as your likely to send as much or more heat up the chimney as the stove is throwing.

branchburner said:
Your stove should behave like mine: with the front door wide open (as opposed to cracked) there should be no thermonuclear events. The fire burns just like a fireplace, very pretty, but also meaning no secondary combustion and a ton of heat up the flue.

When the fire is low, you can get a feel for it by just opening up the door without a screen (but do not leave the stove, of course). I rarely use my screen - I like the wispy ghost flames I can see through the glass.

Do you have the grill? That is a much more useful option, at least for me.

Did not get the grill; afraid of getting splatter all over the stove.

redhorse said:
Did not get the grill; afraid of getting splatter all over the stove.

Can't say my stove is spotless, but I think that's more on me than the grill. I use it with the top closed - only a very short period when opening up and taking the food out where there is any chance of splatter, and even that is very minimal. Careless spilling, that's another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.