Cracked stone on Tribute.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
Well my experience with the Hearthstone Tribute continues to deteriorate. I discovered a crack in the stone on the right hand rear stone, and a small crack in the right hand lower side stone as well. I don't know how long it's been there. I was stirring the coals to get them to burn out so I could scoop the ash out for this evenings burn and I noticed a small crack on the cement on the inside of the firebox. I investigated farther, and under the rear heat shield, sure enough there is a crack in the stone. :sick: I can't get an answer form the other dealer in NE, and I don't know if this is safe to burn, as is, till I can talk to a dealer about a warranty claim for this, as well as the warranty claim on-going for the warped door. I know that we haven't over-fired the stove, as we have a thermometer on the top front stone in front of the vent. It has never been over 550*. Do I burn, or call for an emergency delivery of heating oil, It's going to get to -4 tonight.

Direct from Jim at Hearthstone:

“Hairline or surface cracks are natural and do not affect the integrity
of the stove. Even a crack all the way through can be sealed with stove
cement and the stove can be burned in this condition indefinitely. The
stone can also be replaced with some tear down and reassembly of the
stove."

JonOfSunderland said:
Direct from Jim at Hearthstone:

“Hairline or surface cracks are natural and do not affect the integrity
of the stove. Even a crack all the way through can be sealed with stove
cement and the stove can be burned in this condition indefinitely. The
stone can also be replaced with some tear down and reassembly of the
stove."

This is not the surface cracks that make this stove so beautiful. It goes all the way through the stone so far as I can tell. It is not leaking smoke that we know of, but you can feel the crack from the outside. I guess we will go ahead and burn for now, the stones don't appear to be loose, and there is no smoke leaking out. Thank you for the quick reply.

Jeff, could you post a picture of the crack? Maybe some others with soapstone stoves can give you their opinion with a picture.

I have a small can of stove cement, rutland black. If you have some or can get some I would smear it on the inside of the stove over the crack. Watch it burn and if you see an air jet from the crack then seal i from the outside as well. Like grouting tile, wipe off the cement so that only a line of it remains.

Got to say that if cracking becomes common on these stoves, Hearthstone will go bankrupt. Fortunately the cracks are few adn far between at this point.

If you have an oil burner for the central home furnace system then it should be full of oil right now. Oil is cheap right now and you need a dependable heat source other than a woodburner. We all do. Mine is electric.

We have a bit of oil, and electric space heaters, but work is slow at the plant, the money just isn't there to fill the tank, I'm still working, but this has been a very hard year, lots of 4 day work weeks. etc.... The cracks are small enough I wouldn't be able to work any sealant of any kind into them. I don't think it's leaking, no air jet or even a stronger flame in the area of the cracks, but I will for sure seal it from the inside as soon as possible.

I think I have bigger problems then the crack in the stone. I emptied the stove this week end and inspected it. I took pictures and want to get your opinions. I know I have a problem but is it safe to burn till I can get something done about it? I took some pictures looking up toward the flue in front of the baffle and secondary burn tubes. I don't know what the part is called but it is cracked. I have also posted pics of the cracked stone from the inside and out.

Attachments

• 100_0438.jpg
    100_0438.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,477
  • 100_0425.jpg
    100_0425.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,459
  • 100_0427.jpg
    100_0427.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,435
  • 100_0429.jpg
    100_0429.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,412
Sounds like you are likely running it at the very high end of where you should be, if you stay at 550. But if that's just an occasional peak, and you trust your thermometer, then this may be considered excessive cracking. Tough to think Hearthstone isn't going to look at this and not claim you overfired it, unfortunately. But I'm no authority...

I will say, if this was my Heritage, I would still burn it. Probably put some cement on the cracks, especially now that it's all cleaned out and cooled... It's not going to puff smoke out - you would draw combustion air in thru the cracks during normal operation - that's the real risk, is those cracks opening up and allowing unmetered fresh air into the fire.

Your first picture - is that the inside of the top front left corner of the iron support frame? Can't say I'm shocked to see that crack. they could double the size of that radius and it'd still crack there. I doubt the stove is in any danger of falling apart, but you want to keep an eye on it and get Hearthstone to check into it.

Ewh! Looks like the support casting for the stove top is cracked out. Almost looks like it is cracked on both sides from the radii. The cast part has failed. It is of course replaceable while they are replacing that rear stone.

The rear stone looks to have also cracked from the through bolt that holds the little cast iron piece on there. Another stress riser. Since it cracked on that bolt hole it is not natural and very likely goes all the way through. I think that the rear block needs to be replaced.

Get Jim from HS on the line and get his decision. He will set you up with a local dealer or make a deal. Not sure if they will claim overfire but too late now, you need this fixed. The refered dealer can also give you a price to fix it. These stoves are supposed to be fairly easy to take apart not that I'd want to.

I wouldn't burn it unattended until you filled the crack with cement. I wouldn't fill it until you get in contact with Jim.

550* is the hottest it has ever been. Normally we run it at 400* to just under 500*. I verified the thermometer to 500 degrees in the oven along with another thermometer. If anything it reads a little high, so it wouldn't have been that hot. Highbeam do you have contact info for Jim at HS. I sent an e-mail to the dealer I am working with on the door leak, but didn't get a reply today. I know the holiday is going to slow down the communication to get this fixed.

I'm thinking that it's not leaking air at this point. The fire doesn't seem to burn brighter around it, and there is no "air jet" so to speak, but we have a leaky door too, so who knows, when that seals up properly it may. I guess it all boils down to, this is all fixable, or should I be pushing for a replacement stove?

Let me try and dig for his email. Jim is the tech guy at HS, I would go straight to HS on this one since you are talking about a "totaled" stove or at least a significantly rebuilt one. Either way, someone will rebuild it and use it. I can't see why a replacement stove would be any better than this one after being properly rebuilt/repaired.

Well I spoke to to the HS dealer I have been talking to about the door leak. He got the e-mail I sent him about the cracks etc..., and sent it on to the regional HS distributor guy. He is supposed to call back this afternoon, and let me know what he finds out. I guess it's in Hearthstone's hands now. I will find out if they are going to stand behind their product or not. I don't know if they will fix the stove I have, or just replace it. For that matter I don't know if they will do anything. I hope to find out latter today.

Jim Casavant [[email protected]]

I searched this site and the above has been posted already. Otherwise I would have PM'd it. He's a decent guy.

I just received an e-mail from my dealer about this problem. HS is going to cover all the parts, and I will have to pay the shipping and labor to fix it. I will have to talk to them about how much that will cost. I'm afraid it will be cheaper to buy a new stove by the time I pay mileage from half way across the state. We'll see.

I think some one needs to figure out what guarantee means . It seems like every time I buy something ,truck ,car ,stove,tools etc. Its a piece of #$%* and when i call the dealer they just don't back there product .I have ford diesel trucks with bumper to bumped full coverage for three years . and nothing is ever covered .I think the American public need to ban together and fight for our warranties . Dam now i have gotten my self all riled up . John

You bought a new stove and installed it less than a year ago and they are not covering labor? or shipping? Buying you a chunk of stone is, well, crap. There must be more to the story. Are they claiming you overfired and denying your warranty? Is there any other reason that your warranty should not apply? This is a premium stove from a premium company and they should take care of you if their product self destructs within a year.

Highbeam said:
You bought a new stove and installed it less than a year ago and they are not covering labor? or shipping? Buying you a chunk of stone is, well, crap. There must be more to the story. Are they claiming you overfired and denying your warranty? Is there any other reason that your warranty should not apply? This is a premium stove from a premium company and they should take care of you if their product self destructs within a year.

Technically speaking, after reading the warranty in the owners manual again, they are fulfilling the warranty to the letter. I bought the stove on 11-20-07. (the date on the invoice) It was installed 1-04-08. The warranty says:"Within the first year after the [Purchase Date], Hearthstone will pay for labor performed by a Dealer at Hearthstone's published labor rates in effect at the time the labor is performed. Thereafter, the Original purchaser is responsible for the cost of labor." They are covering all the parts as they are bound to do so, in the warranty. Shipping of the parts is warrantied for 90 days, and after that, the purchaser is responsible for shipping of parts. Hearthstone would pay 1/2 of the shipping if I was instructed to return the stove to Hearthstone or the dealer for repair. After one year, the Purchaser is responsible for all shipping of the stove. I have not been instructed to return the stove, and even at that, it has been more then one year from the date of "purchase".

I expected more from them considering that this is a "premium stove" from a "premium company" also, but they are doing as required in the warranty, but absolutely nothing else.

Next time I'll buy a Jotul, but I can't dis Hearthstone for following the letter of the warranty.

You can legitimately argue that the "damage" was done before 11/20/2008. Try contacting Jim @ HS?

I wonder how woodstock's (the other soapstone company) warranty compares. I didn't realize that you were out of the warranty period.

Highbeam said:
I wonder how woodstock's (the other soapstone company) warranty compares. I didn't realize that you were out of the warranty period.

Technically I am out of the one year warranty period from the date of purchase. I paid for the stove and put a large down-payment on the chimney and install. The install was Jan 4th '07. We are talking about the deference between me buying the stove and the dealer installing it. The weather delayed the install.

This whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach. :sick: I will try to e-mail Jim @ HS, and see if they will pay for the labor or at least part of it. Like I said before, I will buy Jotul next time. With the Hollidays, it will take a few days to get this lined out as to what is going to happen, and when.

I am guessing that if I have them do the rebuild on this, I will be half way to the price of a new stove. Maybe I'm wrong but it is going to take several hours to take this thing apart and rebuild it, and the mileage is what I am afraid of. They are literally 1/2 way across the state. I am guessing a 2 1/2 hour drive one way.

I am going to price a Jotul F3 CB, before I hire them to do the repairs. There is dealer about 60 miles away. I would have to modify the hearth to increase the "R" value (I would need 1.1, if I'm right, and I only have .9 and change.)but it might just be worth it. Time will tell.

a crack in the stone filled w/ cement is no different then where the stones join together. You should be fine burning the stove as long as you can control the fire and don't see creosote leaking out through the crack, could probably burn that stove for several years before replacing. Stones can crack from more than just overfireing. If the stove is not properly broken in, stones can crack. Building a fire too quickly in a cold stove can also crack a stone. I've rebuilt (replaced stones) several hearthstones, have even taken some older ones completely apart & rebuilt. It's very labor intensive, but not that difficult, something most people could do themselves if they wanted. I would recomend burning the stove through the winter, check with the dealer abou the cost of replacing the stone in the summer when they are slower, and take the stove back to the dealer so they can replace it there. If you do it yourself, take soaking wet rags and let the joints absorb as much water as possible before taking the stove apart. This will "soften" the mortar and make is easier to take apart. When re-assembling, be sure to use Hearthstone's cement, it is different than standard stove cement. You may want to ask your dealer about giving you a break on the labor, or maybe splitting it with you if you wait until summer and take the stove to them. May refuse, but would think it's worth asking. Jotul is a good stove as well, but I think Hearthstone's warranty is actually stronger.

Jotul warranty is for five years not including the following parts that are subject to wear and tear - These parts include paint, gaskets, burn plates, baffles, fire grates or glass (glass is only warranted against thermal breakage).
Purchaser responsible for transportation to dealer for repair or replacement from day one.

Well I sent off an e-mail directly to Jim at Hearthstone. I hope to receive an explanation of why the labor costs won't be covered, as the stove wasn't delivered and installed till Jan 08. I really hope Hearthstone will stand behind their product, by covering not only the parts, but labor as well. Their next sale, to me, hangs in this balance. If they stand behind the stove and make it right, I will consider Hearthstone for the stove in the basement next summer (a bigger stove), but if not, I'll be going with someone else most likely.

I think they should fix the stove even if its out of warranty. Your new stove should not have problems like that in one season . You did not buy it at wallmart the dealer should take care of you . I buy lots of stoves gas and wood . If one of my units have problems the guys drive to the house and do what ever it takes to make it right. (what ever it takes) John

I think it is good to get hearthstone in the picture, but you should really be on your dealer. They should take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.