Cracked Vermiculite Board in US Stove 6041 TP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck50

Jan 22, 2011
East TNhall
Hi! Can someone tell me is there an option for me to put firebrick or something else inside my pellet stove? The vermiculite board just cracked after only 1 season of use! I saw on another forum that castable refractory can be used to make a replacement. Agree? Are there any other options for insulation inside the stove for that part. US stove just never gets back to ANY email I send them. After shipping the part which is on sale for $35.00 costs $54.00. I am still using the stove, any problem doing that? Thanks, appreciate any input!!

If the stove is only 1 yr old, doesn't the warranty cover a replacement through the dealer?

If your stoves only 1 year old it should be covered under warranty. Are you saying US stove never replies to your email? Maybe it is getting blocked or going into a spam folder? I have emailed them and they have always replied back. Or maybe you could try the live chat on their website?

My old Whitfield Advantage uses something like vermiculite or asbestos and the center section has broken in half horizontally. Since replacement "firebrick" costs $150. ($100. more than I paid for the stove) I decided to keep using it but with a back-up behind it. So I took a piece of cement board house siding and made a hole in it to match the pellet chute. It's about 1/4" thick. I assume that its main purpose is to protect the internal operating parts from heat so I'm assuming that safety is not an issue. Using castable refractory material is an even better solution, and probably superior to the factory installed material, especially price-wise.

Woodchuck50
I have a 6039 and it has the same backer board. I took that board and made a frame on plywood and used a spray bottle cap for the hole. After spraying everything with cooking oil, I made 4 of the refractory boards from the 25 lb bucket. 1 was 1/4 thick and the rest were about 3/8 thick. Then into the oven to SLOWLY heat them to 450 Degrees and then cool to the touch. They work fine,they also keep the heat longer.
The reason for the backer board is to insulate the auger motor and circuit board from the intense heat which is only separated by thin sheet metal. Be sure to get CASTABLE refractory.Usually a special order.Regular Refractory can be found in the chimney section but wont work. The 4 will outlast the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.