Craigslist Bust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA Fire Bug

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2010
Blair County, PA
Last week I responded to a "Free Firewood" listing on Craigslist. I emailed the person to find out how much wood was available and what type of wood it was. I asked if it would fit in one pickup load or if a dump truck would be needed. I don't have a truck but I live between two generous farmers who are also friends from church. They replied that it was maple and it would fit in one pickup load. It was a little far from home (15-20 miles) but I thought it was worth the risk if I found good wood. When I got to the house, I was excited to see the"Free Wood" sign until I saw that it was leaning against a pile of small branches that had been trimmed from the two trees in the yard. Everything was cut to 6-8 foot lengths with the twigs removed and stacked neatly in a pile. Since I didn't want to go home empty handed, I loaded it up and took it home. I used pruning shears to cut most of the pieces into kindling and only had about a dozen pieces that required the chainsaw. I was glad to have some wood to process since but next time I'll ask more questions.

There is a learning curve to everything...
At least you got some free wood with your education.
I'd post some of the "lessons" I've learned, but It would be too embarrassing...

Rob

Yep, been there done that. But you just hope those are few and far between. Because the one scrounge that you dont go check out could be the gold mine that you missed.

Like this one location, I've had three scrounges at (must be tree trimmers that just dump on there lawn to be picked up). Well, the first time, they only had a couple piece left. Then the second time I ended up with two truck loads of mostly Mulberry. Then the last time it was broadcasted as Oak, Mulberry, and Cedar. I think it was mostly Cedar, cause there was but a piece or two of Oak and one little limb of Mulberry. So I just left, disappointed yes.

Just keep looking, in the spring your get more hits.

Just one more reason I wont respond to an ad if they dont have clear pics.Daytime ones especially.Even then I ask several questions regarding what to take.I dont haul brush unless they pay me or its a family member/neighbor/friend/parent's church needing cleaned up.

Little off topic but...I have been learning the curve to craigslist recently. People were advertising a loveless cougar ash vacuum for 100 bucks. Been looking for one so I call. Nice people yada yada yada. Meet them and it is not a cougar but the cheetahII model vac. Says it right on the vacuum and on the box. I am like "how did you miss this?" needless to say I took it for the 100 but am driving home saying to myself "never again" turns out mosyt people posting on craigslist are innaccurate and careless. except of course until it comes time to get your money.

Yup, did that too. A guy needed a pile of splits out of his yard. He even emailed me pictures which looked good. Got there (15mile drive) and 80% of the splits were mostly punk. There were also 2 & 3 inch sticks. What the heck, since I was already there, I took it all just help him clean off his yard. We and a neighbor ended up with alot of firepit wood. I'll ask better questions next time.

I've scored somewhere around 40 cord from Craigslist over the past few years and I screwed up this Fall with the upfront questions on one and had to drive away from a pissed off property owner. Friends don't let friends scrounge brush.

I only respond to clear pictures as well. If it is really close to where I live, I may make an exception.
However, I did luck out one time by responding to an ad with a bad ( very bad) picture. It was only a
Little more than a mile from where I lived..guy didn't know what it was. Turned out to be a good load
Of black locust! Like I said, I'm sure that is an exception rather than the rule.

Yup, I've basically cleared folks yards of twigs....wasn't happy about it, but like you, wasn't leaving without something

CL is definetly hit or miss. Unless its close I never give the benefit of the doubt. The free stuff tends to be very costly!

I require pictures on my craigslist runs lately.
I take your unwanted garbage for free, you take the 15 seconds it takes to send me a picture of what you're getting rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.