Craigslist: Great Opportunities for free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Just checked my local CL page for the first time and was pleasantly surprised with the numerous free wood ads.

Some of the wood is even cut to size sitting in peoples' yards just waiting to be picked up.
I'm 2 years ahead on the woodpile.... but a summer a scrounging could easily give me 3-4 years worth.

I've got some health issues that may limit my use of a chainsaw in the coming years.

I have Parkinson's Disease (44 years old) so I am a little shaky with the saw. I do find that I am OK, now, but have to be 100% concentrating on the task. I have more problems with balance, which is especially tricky when dropping a tree on a hillside. I am very careful and take my time always.

Some locations are better then others on Craigslist. I have been down in Wash. DC for business for about 2 weeks and have been searching craigslist and there is a ton of free wood. I wish I could get some. Back home in N.NJ, there's very little on craigslist.

God bless you - be careful.

Gotta give you credit for being such a smart shopper. Maybe you could even charge to take it away? :)
Not so lucky up here in Eastern Canada. Our saw mills and pulp & paper mills are strugling so much that they aren't taking much wood, so very little is being cut. It makes it very hard to find hard wood for firewood, because most of the mills take softwood, and the hardwood is sold as a byproduct by these harvesting companies. Usually I only have to make 1-2 calls to find firewood. This year it took me about 20 calls. I finally found 12 cord of 16' long hardood (maple, yellow birch) for $130 Canadian a cord. Cut, split and "seasoned" wood is going for $190-250 Canadian.
Loads of respect to you for cutting smart with Parkinson's. Play safe! Dress safer!
Larry

maplewood said:
Not so lucky up here in Eastern Canada. Our saw mills and pulp & paper mills are strugling...
Not much different in Central Canada. Add to it, that we have less variety of hardwoods and we have an OSB plant with a big appetite for Birch. We are a string of small towns spread hundreds of miles apart so there is no CL resource to speak of.

Should go in Craigs list funnies, face cord of Oak $300, Milw. WI

Many of the wood ads posted around here have titles like "Tons of free firewood - Great for heating" and then they show a picture of a pile of treated lumber they pulled off their neighbors deck.

Better yet is the post I see at least once or twice per week around here that says "Big Oak/Locust/Whatever free for firewood" and then you read the post and they say they want someone that is insured, bonded, etc. Don't they know that the people that have insurance to take down trees typically get paid to do it? ha.

Around here, I'd say two-thirds of the ads for "free" firewood on C/L are dreck. Either of the "remove my tree (next to my house), which I should pay at least $500 to someone competent and insured to do and you can have the wood" variety or the "firewood" turns out to be rotten old fencewood, plywood, or a hugh stump from a cypress bush. But that leaves the other 1/3 as legit free firewood. You just have to be fast and lucky enough to be among the first to respond to an ad that you were lucky enough to find someone giving away firewood a reasonable distance from your home.

But I keep looking.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Craigslist is way better this year than it was last year around here...

It's almost non-existent in Mass, from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.