Craigslist Husky? It's a 340

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I know folks on here aren't usually big on Craigslist finds. But my local one has an ad for a Husquvarna chainsaw with 16" bar "Has cut total of one tree" it says in the ad. $125. If that is a gas chainsaw in decent shape, that's a good deal, (or is it?)
I know nothing about chainsaws, I have a really old sears one from my dad but it is tricky to operate and doesn't always want to start. Apparently.

Edit, it's a 340

"I know folks on here aren’t usually big on Craigslist finds"

What? Craigslist is the greatest thing ever to happen to buying and selling. I buy and sell a lot of chainsaws on craigslist and a whole lot of other stuff.

A saw model number would help in telling you whether it is a good deal or not.

HittinSteel said:
"I know folks on here aren’t usually big on Craigslist finds"

What? Craigslist is the greatest thing ever to happen to buying and selling. I buy and sell a lot of chainsaws on craigslist and a whole lot of other stuff.

A saw model number would help in telling you whether it is a good deal or not.

+1 it could be worth 1.00 to 1500.00+

tickbitty said:
I know folks on here aren't usually big on Craigslist finds. But my local one has an ad for a Husquvarna chainsaw with 16" bar "Has cut total of one tree" it says in the ad. $125. If that is a gas chainsaw in decent shape, that's a good deal, (or is it?)
I know nothing about chainsaws, I have a really old sears one from my dad but it is tricky to operate and doesn't always want to start. Apparently.

I do know people who buy equipment and sell it when they are done rather than rent it and feel they come out ahead.
Probably do.
Neighbor bought a poulan at home depot, cut down 6 pines over three weekends and then sold it on craigslist. Figured he would never use it again, why keep it around for years only to have it not start ?

Last local husky here wanted $25.00 off list price.
Probably entertained offers, certainly not mine.

craigslist has great deals and steals
you have to look at it and decide wisely
I bought a stihl ts350s concrete saw for 38 dollars
and no it wasnt stolen
had a bad on /off switch so it wouldnt run
turned out to be an easy fix
I won on that one

Hi -

I'll bite:

Chances are it's fresh of the shelf of the local big box store, not a 'real (earn your keep every day)" kind of saw.
If it is a differenf deal someone with decent saw sense might do OK.

I'd advise my brother to go to a saw shop and see what they have on the shelf that's used... Then bring that deal here for inspection.

ATB,
Mike

Here is a stihl for $150
http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/1928683460.html

I will pickup poulans or craftsman saws when I find a deal, like last week I won a barely used Poulan Pro 220 for $39, all it needed was a good carb cleaning and its running great now. I will use whatever I can afford to get the job done. I now have 3 42cc 18/16 inch chainsaws and they do me just fine.

Yep I like Craigslist, bought my Stove, a saw, and some of my firewood, all from Craigslist.

There are adds that are entertaining to read and there is also plenty of good deals

Thanks all for the many and varied replies. I wrote and the guy says it's a 340 in very good condition and has had maybe 4 tanks of gas run through it. Can't tell for sure but I guess that would make it maybe half price off new?
I might just try to make the old craftsman one from dad work and get a crappy electric one to supplement until I figure out what I am doing. Or if I can't get the craftsman figured out, I'll call this guy and he will tell me it sold days ago! The Stihls and Husquvarnas seem to get snapped up right quick unless they are asking too much for them, so if I delay the decision gets made for me.

Someone posted a couple oaks they had bucked up last week, for free, and I delayed ONE DAY and the ad was gone!

I usually shop local on craigslist unless it's a really major item that I would be willing to drive an hour to see for just a maybe. Some Williamsburg stuff gets posted on the richmond CL but more on the Norfolk.
Have bought and sold two woodstoves (the same ones I bought intending to use them but sold both for a profit!) but I have found that smaller items end up going to the thrift store because the MANY people who claim they want them and are coming to see them never show up!

Thanks Mellow! This will come in handy. We did use the saw this weekend, and it worked pretty well. Cut a bunch of dogwood though, so now I think we need a new chain!

Status
Not open for further replies.