Craigslist Reply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
I put an Ad on craigslist for a place for tree services to dump, got this reply.

"Hey we have wood and then some more wood. Maple, Cherry, another Cherry, and three alders. Are you interested? We live in Marysville. WE have a dump truck. Where do you live? Thanks "

The closest thing I can find to Marysville is Maysville, NC. This is about 1 1/2 hr drive from me so Im doubting they'll deliver.

This sucks... All Ive really be able to grab this year has been poplar... No other tree services have contacted me and most of them take their unwanted wood to a chipper that pays them for their wood chips.

Would you drive this far to get this? I would have to rent a trailer and probably take a day off... but the debate is on...

Also if you live near Newbern NC let me know maybe I can give him your number. Id really hate to see this go to waste in a landfill...

I don't think I'd make the drive.

Check with the county to see if they have a brush dump. A place where people who take down a tree can dump it for composting.

Matt

Are you sure the wood is already cut and down?

Almost seems like they might have yard trees and want you to come and cut them down/take the wood.

I have a similar ad posted and have had a couple replies from people with this exact scenario...

The tree guys all seem to know each other and many work in a large area. Give the guy your phone number and let the him know where you are. Every year I have to drive less and less because of new contacts made. You only need a couple of good contacts before you have more wood than you know what to do with. They can make it a lot faster than you are going to burn it.

I wouldn't make the drive.

I'd also give it more time. Wait for the season to pick-up a bit. Also, Craigslist is good but why not just call the 3-5 biggest services in your area?

project240 said:
Are you sure the wood is already cut and down?

Almost seems like they might have yard trees and want you to come and cut them down/take the wood.

The tree services here won't let you even start a saw. If you are going to the site, you role is to back your trailer up to the rounds and make them go away.

Remmy122 said:
I put an Ad on craigslist for a place for tree services to dump, got this reply.

"Hey we have wood and then some more wood. Maple, Cherry, another Cherry, and three alders. Are you interested? We live in Marysville. WE have a dump truck. Where do you live? Thanks "

The closest thing I can find to Marysville is Maysville, NC. This is about 1 1/2 hr drive from me so Im doubting they'll deliver.

This sucks... All Ive really be able to grab this year has been poplar... No other tree services have contacted me and most of them take their unwanted wood to a chipper that pays them for their wood chips.

Would you drive this far to get this? I would have to rent a trailer and probably take a day off... but the debate is on...

Also if you live near Newbern NC let me know maybe I can give him your number. Id really hate to see this go to waste in a landfill...

Could that be Murrysville?

If its Murraysville, its even farther away.

He left a number which Im going to call tomorrow.

Ive called the big tree services around here and have gotten a little response, alot of them sell wood, or there is a business around here that buys wood chips at $200 a truck load, so its hard for me to argue with them when they would rather make money than give me wood.

I have wood for next year so I guess I can chill a little bit with the scrounging and see what better stuff pops up... its just so hard when you need your next fix. Is there some sort of program for a wood junkie???

Remmy122 said:
Is there some sort of program for a wood junkie???

A 12 step program for scroungers?

Hi. My name's Ken and I'm a woody-haul-ic.

The first step is admitting to your problem.

What problem?

Remmy122 said:

did not know there were any alders back east

you got me wondering, the area code for the phone number is in WA...

Guess I didnt even think to look. Im curious how he got to looking in the "eastren NC" link...

thats what i was thinking, Marysville, Wa about 15 minutes north of me

Status
Not open for further replies.