Craigslist WOW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My theory on stuff like this is the same as my theory on dating. You always shoot for the moon and ask out the pretty ones first, if that fails the others will still be there later.

If he doesn't find someone to do it in his best case scenario, the option of paying to have it done later always exists.

I really think a good many of these CL threads are just people trolling to see if they really can get that awesome deal for themselves. What's it cost to ask on CL? Why not try?

pen

In our area, the power company will trim or cut down any tree near the power lines. They chip and shred the branches, cut up the limbs and trunk and leave the cut wood for the land owner. I scored five or six pickup loads of wood from a nearby farmer friend last summer. There were recently a couple of nice piles of wood on another farm but an older couple worked several weekends to split and haul the wood. Fortunately for them, they had a log splitter and a dump truck. I figured they needed the wood more than I did. I was glad to see that it didn't go to waste.

I wrote to those people and told them that there was not enough wood in that tree to make it worth taking down with all the obstacles: house, power lines, fence, etc.
I suggested they get a professional to take it down. I said that it will cost a lot of money but could save some serious damage. I also said that once the tree is down, they could split the wood to sell as firewood and recoup some of their cost.

I actually got a brief "Thank You" reply from them.

Just drop it between the power lines and boat. One cut. no problem.

tsquini said:

You sound pretty confident for someone who picks up his guitar so infrequently. %-P

good chuckle for me. if it was my place no way I'd trust anyone other than a pro with insurance to tackle that tree.

Fooey. The power lines are no problem and even if they were there would be mor firewood. The fence and the garage are just added bonuses. If the guy won't let you add them to the firewood pile after the tree comes down then maybe you could sue him for false advertising. Hey...he doesn't say you have to be experienced and now you can have a shared learning experience. :lol: :lol: ;-)

fossil said:
tsquini said:

You sound pretty confident for someone who picks up his guitar so infrequently. %-P
Dude that is awesome. I never noticed that. Hahah. You got me.

tsquini said:
fossil said:
tsquini said:

:lol: Post on, my friend.

fireview2788 said:
http://dayton.craigslist.org/zip/2688547865.html

check the location this tree. Of course it's FREEEEEE!!!!

We had a similar one just around the corner from me. Two huge maples near power lines, only about 30' from house. "Free wood. You cut down, you clean up." I'm surprised none of these people ask for insurance too. I was tempted to call and offer my chainsaw for him to drop, I'd be happy to take the wood.

He ran the ad for two weeks, then pulled it. Maples are still there.

I'm to the point where I won't go after any firewood if there is any clean up involved let alone massive liability. Just ain't worth the time.More times than not free firewood has a hook. Best deal off my own property is farmers fence rows. No liabilty and all tree trash can lay next to the fence. Easy to do with a grapple. Anything in town or in a yard I stay away from.

fossil said:
tsquini said:
fossil said:
tsquini said:

Okay, guys, here's my guess: tsquini had misspelled "cords" in his profile, so that it said "chords". Right?

What about another key point in that CL ad. That is not firewood. It is a live, standing tree. (With many obstacles, as pointed out by you guys.) Bucked and split into reasonable pieces, is firewood.

Cheers.

pmac said:
http://allentown.craigslist.org/zip/2691293596.html

This guy takes a sort of different approach.....

This fella has it down! I shoulda thought of that!

DanCorcoran said:
fossil said:
tsquini said:
fossil said:
tsquini said:

Okay, guys, here's my guess: tsquini had misspelled "cords" in his profile, so that it said "chords". Right?

Ding Ding Ding!

That tree won't hit the power lines. Fence OTOH....

But, he didn't attach conditions, nor does he really know who you are. Go there, strike a deal, wait for him to go to work, drop the bastard, cut it up and haul it off before he realizes he's got a new accessway to his yard. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.