Crazy 2018/2019 winter temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
It's been a very warm winter so far out west. Plants are confused. Our fuchsias still have all their leaves. Daffodils are already 3" tall. Wallflower & primroses have started blooming. Some patio plants never stopped.

20181214_144258_resized.jpg 20181214_155346_resized.jpg 20181214_155430_resized.jpg 20181214_155539_resized.jpg 20181214_155907_resized.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
51º tonight. Feels like spring already.

It was a super cold month of November in Quebec. I never saw outside skating rinks ready so early. I used a lot of firewood already but should be ok to burn all winter. I am wondering if I should increase my firewood stash so I have enough dry wood in 2 years from now.

Last edited:
Here it will be around 2 months or more that temps thru the night have been between 13 and 25 df. Only 3 nights that I remember was on low 30s. Here is already 26 now and it is okay. Most of the nights at this time is around 20 and dropping into the teens.
Its kind of normal here but last two winters were not that cold around this time of the year. Everything is already dry here. Last year I still have pasture for the horses at this time. This year everything went bye bye/dry since early last month.

Looks as though it might be a cold winter here in the Northeast. We've already had snow in southwestern Connecticut, which is unusual for the region. In the late sixties, the weather would get cold enough early enough that the lake would freeze relatively smoothly, and we'd have good skating all winter; then in the seventies it warmed up just enough that the lake might remain unfrozen for much of the winter, or the ice might not be thick enough for safe skating. Lately, however, it seems that the weather has become much more variable, and it gets harder and harder to predict what kind of winter we'll have.

Reactions: coutufr
yep allover the map , 80's Dec most of the month at or near zero or below Mid 70's Jan around 72 degsF in the middle of the month for almost a week- course that was quickly rectified by sub zero Feb of the same year. this year we went from summer to winter, now it seems we have bounced back to fall for a bit. Once a solid cover of snow hits us it will be plenty chilly out. Although I do remember winters with very little snow to almost none and temps hovering in the teens.

This is my first winter in Maine, but the locals all say it has been a cold winter so far. There have been a few warm fronts, and they are confusing the Lilac by our door which keeps budding. There are many wild woody stemed plants that are still growing around the house. Not sure what they are yet. This weekend was warm, but it snowed last night. It is supposed to be cold the next few days, and then get back into the high 30's/low 40's

Pretty mild here in eastern MA. Moved firewood into the garage today and split a few logs. Really should finally clean the gutters. :)

Southern Maine has been frigid the past 3-4 weeks. Record lows and record low high temps were set around Thanksgiving. Most lakes and ponds have 6-8+ inches of ice, some have close to a foot.

Southern Maine has been frigid the past 3-4 weeks. Record lows and record low high temps were set around Thanksgiving. Most lakes and ponds have 6-8+ inches of ice, some have close to a foot.

I'm in downeast and it was mostly the same except for a few rainy days a few weeks ago and this past weekend it was warm and melted all the ice again. I had to drive to Ellsworth on Thursday and it was just as you describe. I went back on Saturday and it was almost thawed again. This is my first winter here and it started out pretty wild!

Reactions: begreen
I'm in downeast and it was mostly the same except for a few rainy days a few weeks ago and this past weekend it was warm and melted all the ice again. I had to drive to Ellsworth on Thursday and it was just as you describe. I went back on Saturday and it was almost thawed again. This is my first winter here and it started out pretty wild!

When you're along the coast it can be like that, you'll have more temp swings than the steady inland temps.

I am in WNC and tomorrow's weather will make it the wettest year on record.
Just when the mud in my yard was feeling dehydrated...
<<sigh>>

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: vinny11950
Yeah, it was colder than normal in November, and now that winter started it is rainy, cloudy, with highs in the 40s and 50s. It seems there is now a band of cold that dips from Canada, ranging from West Coast to East Coast, and it just depends where is settles, then that area gets the frigid, winter weather.

I remember in the 80s the jetstream was more of a straight line across the country that split north and south weather more clearly. And it used to stay that way for months. Now it is all over the place, changing week to week.

10 ::C this afternoon and rain dipping to -16::C buy midnight
rink looked like it was fresh flooded all day but should be good to go by morning

Here start snowing again since last night and expecting more snow tonight. Temp low 20s during the day and will be single digits tonight and for a few days. Both stoves cooking on low.

Attachments

• IMG_20181228_072400.jpg
    IMG_20181228_072400.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20181228_072422.jpg
    IMG_20181228_072422.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 245
this will not stay up north all winter, how long will it stay down here? remember 2014-15?
DvizihKXQAAau2e?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
January 1st and blooming? Lilac buds are getting fat too.
20181231_174752_resized.jpg lilac-bud.jpg

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Actually I kinda like the blooming flowers, green grass and buds . . . reminds me of what is to come . . . in 3 or 4 months.

Reactions: vinny11950
Just got my power bill. This year December was within 1 degree of last year.
That doesn't agree with the stats for us, nor with our plants. Maybe your area was much colder?

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.49.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 9.50.06 AM.png