Crazy 2018/2019 winter temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That doesn't agree with the stats for us, nor with our plants. Maybe your area was much colder?

View attachment 237414 View attachment 237415

From your PSE power bill from the last billing period. 42 last year and 43 this year. We autopay so I check the numbers and then trash the paper bill.

Not sure where PSE gets their weather information but yours doesn't match.

Not sure where PSE gets their weather information but yours doesn't match.
Yes, mine is from the NWS and corroborated by reduced wood consumption so far this winter. Last winter we went through 3 cords which is the max for us in this house. This year so far we've gone through about a cord so far. But it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

It's been a warmer winter for us in the Foothills of the Adirondacks this year too but it looks like we'll get some colder weather coming in especially at night starting on January 10, -10.

The amount of wood we've burned so far is,shoulder season wood (white pine) just over four face cord, hardwood we've burned around five face cord.

Non-winter here in eastern MA so far. Supposed to get dusting to 1" tonight.

I keep thinking of winter 2014 - 2015. Went to almost the end of January with nothing. Even thought that I might not use the snow blower all season. Wrong!

Blizzard at the end of January and then weekly storm after storm for several weeks. This area ended up with 120" for the season. Worcester, MA was the snowiest city in the U.S. in it's population category.

Also had a very cold snap around Valentine's Day where the house kept booming. Just about asleep. BOOM! Just about asleep. BOOM!

Article on contraction of home materials: https://www.wcvb.com/article/homeowners-hearing-strange-sounds-during-frigid-cold-weather/8217730.

Reactions: vinny11950
I remember that one. Drove my sister-in-law nuts.

Non-winter here in eastern MA so far. Supposed to get dusting to 1" tonight.

I keep thinking of winter 2014 - 2015. Went to almost the end of January with nothing. Even thought that I might not use the snow blower all season. Wrong!

Blizzard at the end of January and then weekly storm after storm for several weeks. This area ended up with 120" for the season. Worcester, MA was the snowiest city in the U.S. in it's population category.

Also had a very cold snap around Valentine's Day where the house kept booming. Just about asleep. BOOM! Just about asleep. BOOM!

Article on contraction of home materials: https://www.wcvb.com/article/homeowners-hearing-strange-sounds-during-frigid-cold-weather/8217730.
Hoping for a repeat this year, I got 80+ inches in 4 weeks, near the coast had the 120, looks like a similar pattern to that year.

It's been a strange winter here too. We are inland about 60 miles from the coast, so often see more snow and cold than Seattle or Vancouver but this year nothing! Also been strange how it will be cool for days then suddenly shoot up ten degrees overnight.

Yes, it's been in the low 50s all day here today.

agree with this year is looking like 2015. that was the last year i plowed after hardly being home for that stretch of snow. not much sleep. it really is weird i just filled the garage with firewood from the racks. and the ground was like concrete. never got above 23 today last night floating between 8 and 9. starting to blow thru wood

Broke a record yesterday at 61F. I took a picture while on a walk. These will be blooming soon. They are a couple weeks ahead of last year, which was a couple weeks ahead of the year before.
daffodils.jpg

we had it good until 2 days ago and still have cold for 2 to 3 days left

-19 F one town over this AM. I am up on a hill so I only saw -7. Cold clear night and mountain valleys with river running through them can have quite an overnight temperature variation.

I think we hit -16 last night with a few more cold nights ahead of us before it warms up and then gets cold again but January is usually our coldest month,

The standard rule of thumb is the full moon of January later this month is usually the lowest overnight temps in my area. When I moved into the area in 1987 I had a string of winters where I would see a couple of 3 ro 4 day stretches of minus 30 F at night with daytime temps not getting over 0.

I got to see first hand how a steam coil could freeze with steam running through it.

Weird winter so far. We had "Snowvember" with above average snow fall in November. Mixed precipitation in December and beginning of January.

It looks like winter in earnest starts on Sunday with a foot plus forecast. Some follow-on snow during the week.

We are in for some bone chilling weather and snow very soon ,saturday night expecting 10-15 inches of snow. Monday temps are high of 10 low of -3

Its probably warmer at the south pole, yes it will be 12 there on monday and 10 here. When the cold air comes here the warm air has to go somewhere.

It was -12::F when I got up this morning and it’s -2::F now near noon. That’s probably our high for the day. Nice to sit here with the stove going and some football to watch coming up. :)

Terms are dropping like a rock right now.