Creosite flakes pipe pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troutchaser

Jan 1, 2010
Zone 6
lopi leyden 2009
I've had flaky creosote showing up in the snow under the pipe and here and there on the ground. Weather was nice so I thought I'd go up and take the pipe apart for a look see. This is what I found.
Some shiny creo. at each pipe connection where I guess air leaks in. Assuming this is normal.
I added a three foot section of pipe about 2-3 weeks after I started burning in Dec. This section looked very good, telling me that maybe most buildup was in those first educational weeks.
Suprisingly, the pipe is cleaner in the top six feet than the six feet below that (21 total). Still, excluding the cap which is absolute crap, the stuff in the pipe is a tan, powdery type stuff. Is the fluffy stuff pretty harmless?
Thanks for reviewing.

Attachments

• Pipe pics Feb 2010 001.jpg
    Pipe pics Feb 2010 001.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 465
  • Pipe pics Feb 2010 004.jpg
    Pipe pics Feb 2010 004.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 489
  • Pipe pics Feb 2010 005.jpg
    Pipe pics Feb 2010 005.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 470
Looks real good to me. Mine looks a bit thicker after passing four cord through it so far, but color is the same. Light brown/tan and velvety looking, less than 1/16" thick.

Attachments

• Flue-Photo.jpg
    Flue-Photo.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 391
Wish I had gotten a pic. of what I saw further down the pipe. Cotton ball type stuff that was really clumped onto the pipe. Some of it was sort of waving in the draft.
After a quick search on this site, I'm reading that is the remnants of a chimney fire??? Puffy creosote!

Status
Not open for further replies.