Creosote cleaning around the firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
Ok, I've been messing with my door adjustments. I don't think it leaks any now, it's just using up all the gasket due to crookedness. Mark offered to make me some new hinges to fix the issue.

Anyway.. where I had a little leak there is what I would call a little creosote near the door. Maybe 1/8 thick.

So.. I just started messing around with removing it. A pretty good method for cleaning it up seemed to be with the MAP gas torch and my little ash shovel. The torch would sort of bubble the skin, and the shovel could scrape it right off if I was quick when it was hot.

OK to do this? I'm not gonna do the whole firebox. The manual talks about running with the door open to clean out the box. Not sure how that's supposed to work.. bypass open? Just let it go? I tried it once just a bit and it got a little hotter than normal, and I could scrape SOME from the sides.

Obviously.. too much creosote would effect heat transfer.. but what's "normal"?

Thanks
JP

JP ,DO NOT scrap the fire box.What is on there will not effect operation.It will protect the surface and remove it self from time to time as you use the boiler more often.The heat transfer is in the lower chamber and in the the tubes.With good dry wood you will only get crust on the inside of the fire.

JP ,DO NOT scrap the fire box.What is on there will not effect operation.It will protect the surface and remove it self from time to time as you use the boiler more often.The heat transfer is in the lower chamber and in the the tubes.With good dry wood you will only get crust on the inside of the fire.
Patrick.

I won't scrape it.. But the 60 doesn't have the same warning as the two smaller ones in the manual. Not sure if it's different material or what. It actually didn't have the same note as those two.

I'll leave it alone.. and find another outlet for my OCD. :)

I'll leave it alone.. and find another outlet for my OCD. :)

Haha, that's our problem during summer. Need to channel that energy somewhere else. LOL
I hear ya JP
TS

Status
Not open for further replies.