Creosote removal chemicals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Are creosote removal products that you burn in your stove safe to use in catalytic stoves or can they damage the combustor?

Hello jpl1nh, not sure how much this is going to help but I looked at a container of Rutland Creosote Remover. It does not say if you can or can't use with a Cat stove. So without reading to much into their info I would think if it is not good for the Cat they would say so. Also If you look at almost all of the power Creosote Removers they all use trisodium phosphate as the main stuff. Well go to your Hardware stove and pick up a box of TSP cleaner. Sure will saves alot of money. I did use it every week and did make the glaze creosote come off easy. There is a number to call for info but not sure if I can post it here so might want to check their Web site. I'm sure others would also like to know.
Don

I've heard that some of the powders can induce corrosion in metal chimnies (perhaps).
I haven't heard of any problems w/ the spray-on solutions, nor how effective they
can be. Hope it helps....

Rob

Your concern is valid. If used in a catalytic stove, it must be in the bypass mode only. Search for Cre-Away for a recent discussion on creosote removers.

BeGreen said:
Your concern is valid. If used in a catalytic stove, it must be in the bypass mode only. Search for Cre-Away for a recent discussion on creosote removers.
I checked on line and on the Cre-away product description they state that it should not be used in catalytic stoves. I spoke with Woodstock Stove Co and they recommend taking the combustor out of the stove before using such a product since many of them are sodium based and the sodium can be quite corrosive which would support Rob's info about damage to metal chimneys. One thing for certain, everybody recommends brushing your chimney. :) I guess for me with a combustor, I'll stay away from the product from now on, at least products intended for use inside the stove.

The "magic powders" and sprays are pretty much not effective at removing anything but the contents of your wallet... :cheese: I've seen lots of tests that say they don't make a significant difference in the amount of creosote buildup or the ease of cleaning the chimney.

Given the concerns about corrosion and possible cat damage, I wouldn't suggest using them. With a modern stove you shouldn't be building up enough deposits to need to use them anyway.

At the very least, remember that chemicals are no substitute for regular MECHANICAL cleaning with a brush... (Too bad!)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.