crown repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
chimney guy said crown is cracked.. Hubby said he saw it... when he inspected last week.
a board and brick is presently over flue tile... there when we bought place this year
Chimney guy wants $200 to repair crown....
After watching some" you tubes "and reading posts here about crown repair. Not sure which way to go....
I believe, not sure, need to call and ask chimney guy how he plans on for $200 more than the cleaning to attack cracked crown...
Hubby was told there is a "gel" while back from another roofing guy to seal up the cracks...
Different methods... so what is the best tear off the old crown and redo??? what about tuck pointing too.....Proper materials and methods????
What is the longest lasting.....
I suggested a large custom made chimney cover that extends over the crown too.
But chimney guy said that would hold in moisture around the cement crown...
But why could not the whole chimney cover be like up a little like on "legs" so that not direct contact with the cement crown...e like beveled so rain etc flowa off.
Do NOT want to spend a lot on this money pit house.... we are usually do it yourselfers...
suggestions yall??? please chime in all
Thanks
Jean

Either spend the money and have the sweep do it or do it yourself but whatever you do , do it right. I had cracks in my crown too and my friend totally rebuilt my crown by replacing some brick and then cementing the crown, I got lucky and got it thrown in with my liner installation. In my opinion if thats all thats wrong with your chimney $200 bucks to get it right isnt that bad.

$200 isn't bad at all.
Just got a "first cousin discount" quote of $450 for repoint and new crown so doing it myself. (if it ever stops raining)

I don't understand your aversion to just doing it right. Rebuild the crown yourself, or hire a pro to do the same. Forget gels, forget covers, just do it right, and be done with it. $200 is a drop in the ocean of home ownership.

Reactions: etiger2007
I found cracks in the Crown last spring.....just filled them with Cement....the rest of the Chimney looks to be great shape, we'll see how long it holds out, I can't see why my repair would go south, but I've said that before:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.