Curious Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Monday morning, everyone. I have recently found that I am getting some curious looking ash forming in my stove. While I usually get a very fine, almost fluffy gray ash in the stove (and not very much of that, even) lately I have been getting a few rock-like chunks that are black in color. Anyone get this type of ash from time to time, and know what the culprit might be?

Thanks for any input.

Sounds like unburned coals not ash.

If it's that fused-together looking stuff, there's been speculation here about it forming when there's wood on an ash bed that gets really hot and compresses it together- amongst other things.

Nothing to worry about

Yep, clinker from fused ashes. In the past, I have noticed that Elm did it more frequently than other woods (for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.