Cut 4 loads of Oak this weekend (pictures)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
What great weather this weekend. My son, grandson, and I cut 2 loads of Red Oak and 2 loads of White Oak Saturday and Sunday. It was just beautiful days to be outside. First picture is the hill to the Red Oaks. Two of them blew down in a storm and you can see the snapped off trunks and our old truck with a good load. This was the last of 6 loads we got out of the 2 trees! Next pictures are of my son working on the last of the main log and the last pic is of my son and grandson with the nice big White Oak. I so enjoy all of you guy's pictures, I hope you enjoy mine. Steve

Attachments

• Daves Hill.jpg
    Daves Hill.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 611
  • Red Oak Cut 1.jpg
    Red Oak Cut 1.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 621
  • Red Oak Cut 3.jpg
    Red Oak Cut 3.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 615
  • Everette big load.jpg
    Everette big load.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 607
  • White Oak Doug Trent 2.jpg
    White Oak Doug Trent 2.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 623
Nice pictures. Some of my best memories are working outside with my dad. Pretty cool that your grandson is having those experiences. Good for all of you. Hope you got some hot chocolate after.

Great pictures. I started working in the timber with Dad when I was 17,learning to operate his Poulan 3400 felling trees & bucking/splitting logs.He still wants to help now, but since he's 81 I let him carry a few smaller rounds or split pieces.Just no swinging of the axe or maul/sledge ;-) Once in a while he cuts a few small pieces,but I do easily 95% of the work myself now.As you all know,these memories are priceless & things we never forget. :coolsmile:

Adios, You are right, last year was really tough. This year has been good to us with frozen ground and not to much snow...but coming.
WoodSavage, The memories are so important and you bet, we stopped for hot drinks more than once. We don't get in a hurry....just enjoy!
Thistle, You keep taking ole dad, 'cause I know he wants to be there with you and proablbly wishes he could do more.

Looks like some nice work there and you will be paid back with some good heat. I have to ask though Steve, is that last picture white ash? I know it is difficult (at least for me it is) with pictures though.

tfdchief said:
What great weather this weekend. My son, grandson, and I cut 2 loads of Red Oak and 2 loads of White Oak Saturday and Sunday. It was just beautiful days to be outside. First picture is the hill to the Red Oaks. Two of them blew down in a storm and you can see the snapped off trunks and our old truck with a good load. This was the last of 6 loads we got out of the 2 trees! Next pictures are of my son working on the last of the main log and the last pic is of my son and grandson with the nice big White Oak. I so enjoy all of you guy's pictures, I hope you enjoy mine. Steve

Steve it looks like you had a great day for cutting with your son and grandson let alone grabbing some great firewood, you can't beat a day like you just had.

Great Pictures

Zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like some nice work there and you will be paid back with some good heat. I have to ask though Steve, is that last picture white ash? I know it is difficult (at least for me it is) with pictures though.
No, it is definitely White Oak....just hard to tell from the picture, and oh, a really nice one....solid as a rock. It died this summer for some reason and I suggested the owner, my son's boss, get the first 15 feet sawed into lumber, probably $500 worth or more. But he wasn't interested....just wanted it gone, which was fine by me ;-P

zapny said:
tfdchief said:

Steve it looks like you had a great day for cutting with your son and grandson let alone grabbing some great firewood, you can't beat a day like you just had.

Great Pictures

Zap
Zap, I have to tell you it was one of those rare times I get to cut in a place almost as pretty as yours and you are right, on a beautiful cold, crisp day with my son and grandson.....well it doesn't get much better. I would have payed for the oportunity! :)

Adios Pantalones said:
Trees that are in someone's yard are often sort of frowned on by lumber mills- they worry about all the nails kids banged into them over the years, along with eye hooks for hammocks, etc.
Yes, that was a concern, although it is in a pasture that I don't think has ever been anything else. In central IL none of the timber is big enough to gaurantee no metal in the tree, so the lumber guys around here will take a chance on one like this one....just not one in a yard or real close to any buildings. The owner already had one oak sawed up and hasn't used that lumber yet, so he wasn't interested in the trouble for just the money.

Gotcha. here they worry about old barbed wire in trees from pastures as well. I dunno. I've hit some weird stuff with a chainsaw that concerned me, but I don't have that much money sunk into those blades etc.

My dad passed away this year and some of my best memories of him were cutting wood. Good on ya for including the little one.

Adios Pantalones said:
Trees that are in someone's yard are often sort of frowned on by lumber mills- they worry about all the nails kids banged into them over the years, along with eye hooks for hammocks, etc.

I can vouch for that.Back about 20 yrs ago I got the chance to remove some 50+yr old Apple trees from a small backyard orchard.Good thing I was paying attention,one of the thick trunks about 5ft in the air had a 3/8" galvanized eye hook 5" long threaded into it many years before.It was almost completely grown over,with barely 1/4" still exposed.Guessing it was 'installled' 40 yrs prior.They sure used good zinc back then,that hook had no rust,even the exposed part.I still have it in my odds & ends coffee can in fact.Then in summer '96 I was cutting some 3 ft Silver Maple rounds for woodturning/bowl blanks,scrounged from a June thunderstorm on southside of town. 4 of those beasts had 3/8" x 12" spikes driven almost 1/2 way in...I developed eagle eyes almost over the years when harvesting any yard trees,my metal detector hasnt failed me yet thankfully.

The town took out a big tree next to the street in front of my brother's house. The 70 something yr old neighbor said "I bet there were a lot of nails in there". The town worker said "Ya, like 40 of them- how'd you know?" The old guy replied, "Kuzz I banged em in there when I was a kid about 60 years ago". :\

Ba Dum Bum :lol:

Backwoods Savage said:
Dennis, Here is few pics of the the White Oak and a close ups.

Attachments

• Pile Oak.jpg
    Pile Oak.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Oak Pile 2.jpg
    Oak Pile 2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 398
  • Oak Splits 2.jpg
    Oak Splits 2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_20110110_113620 Oak Splits 1.jpg
    IMG_20110110_113620 Oak Splits 1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 387
Wow looks great!

On the first post - 3rd picture - the log length you seem to be standing over looks like it was ripped straight down it. Is that from you cutting it that way? or is that just the way the wood was ?

I've got a lap top and sometimes details are hard to see.

Looks like a good bunch of oak - great score.

tfdchief said:

Thats good stuff right there Steve!

basswidow said:
Wow looks great!

On the first post - 3rd picture - the log length you seem to be standing over looks like it was ripped straight down it. Is that from you cutting it that way? or is that just the way the wood was ?

I've got a lap top and sometimes details are hard to see.

Looks like a good bunch of oak - great score.
That is part of the bottom part of the trunk that was split real badly from when it came down in the storm.

.....sounds kinda dumb, but i can't wait till the snow melts so i can get back out to get some more firewood. man, the things that we look forward to, eh?

Timber that has been pastured is of very poor quality and most sawmills would not want it. Also the metal in the tree is not only a danger to the saw but causes stains in the wood.

yooperdave said:
.....sounds kinda dumb, but i can't wait till the snow melts so i can get back out to get some more firewood. man, the things that we look forward to, eh?
Doesn't sound dumb to me. :coolsmile: I hate to see the cutting and burning season end and then have to wait all those month to start back up again, because I just really enjoy everthing about it and have for over 35 years. You are in the right place yooperdave, 'cause we are all like that on this forum.

That's some great looking wood!

tfdchief said:
yooperdave said:
Doesn't sound dumb to me. :coolsmile: I hate to see the cutting and burning season end and then have to wait all those month to start back up again, because I just really enjoy everthing about it and have for over 35 years. You are in the right place yooperdave, 'cause we are all like that on this forum.

Ya but poor yooperdave gets some big time snowfall so he has to wait a bit before he can cut more.

Status
Not open for further replies.