Cut some old wood today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
A neighbor and I have been cutting dead ash in our woods. We'd found some old wood (ash) a week ago that I had forgot about. It had been cut to length several years ago and was fine. The wood we found today (sorry I did not have the camera today as I was more concerned with keeping my hands warm) I am guessing that I had cut that tree about 6 years ago at least. I had cut up the butt of the tree but the top laid there...in the wet spot. Maybe that is why I had not taken it as it may have been too wet to finish at the time. Regardless, the wood was pretty black but when cutting it, all was fine. The neighbor took it home and will burn it next year.

This is one of the great things about white ash is that the wood takes a super long time before it will even start to turn punky. Of course, this also means that our dead ash trees will still make good firewood for many more years. I'll try to remember to take a camera with me a little more often.

GIBIR...but it seems that we have more time with Ash. :)

Sounds good Sav. How you coming along on what you would like to have cut this winter ?

Backwoods Savage said:
A neighbor and I have been cutting dead ash in our woods. We'd found some old wood (ash) a week ago that I had forgot about. It had been cut to length several years ago and was fine. The wood we found today (sorry I did not have the camera today as I was more concerned with keeping my hands warm) I am guessing that I had cut that tree about 6 years ago at least. I had cut up the butt of the tree but the top laid there...in the wet spot. Maybe that is why I had not taken it as it may have been too wet to finish at the time. Regardless, the wood was pretty black but when cutting it, all was fine. The neighbor took it home and will burn it next year.

This is one of the great things about white ash is that the wood takes a super long time before it will even start to turn punky. Of course, this also means that our dead ash trees will still make good firewood for many more years. I'll try to remember to take a camera with me a little more often.

Great GIBIR Sav, do ya think it will be ready for next year! :eek:hh:

zap

I'm surprised Dennis. I've come across some punky standing ash this fall. Maybe its because your on sand and drainage is much better then the clay we have around here. Nice day to cut but I here tomorrow its gonna get cold.

wishlist said:
I've come across some punky standing ash this fall.
Yeah. Not sure what causes that. Maybe in those cases, loose bark traps moisture and keeps that part of the trunk wet?

I'm finding white ash around here the same as wishlist describes . Whether deadfall or standing dead , it only takes a year before getting punky. Quite a few of 'em I falled were dead a year and they had maybe 40% punkwood already. Alot of these died because of an excess water problem caused by drainage issues due to a builder that didn't follow plans when they put up a new housing development nearby. Some got nailed by the EAB.

Well Dennis I had hoped this Ash tree was not too punky, had planned on bringing a trailer tommorow and get it all. I cut into it in several places and just not worth the trouble taking it home ( 16 miles ) So I came home with a p/u load of Black Locust.

Attachments

• SDC10402.jpg
    SDC10402.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 448
  • SDC10403.jpg
    SDC10403.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 455
Always amazes me when guys forget about wood they cut or dropped. Must be nice.... I think that's called "Old timers"

I too come across ash that is very rotten. Probably 80% that is already down is beyond use. Probably 30% that has been dead and recently dropped is rotten.
As a matter of fact just a couple of days ago a farmer friend of mine said I can have some already split ash that he believed was too far gone to give to his firewood customers. I took it (only a face cord, but I was there with my trailer and it was already split).

basswidow said:
Always amazes me when guys forget about wood they cut or dropped. Must be nice.... I think that's called "Old timers"

Hey, I resemble those comments and I'm only 41.

Well - I'm 50 and have "Old Timers" too, so I can sling those kind of shots! Though I've never forgotten any wood I've cut !!! Some people just have too much wood - if there is such a thing.

that's like Warren Buffet saying ..... oh, I forgot I put that million dollars in that drawer six years ago....

Locust Post said:
Sounds good Sav. How you coming along on what you would like to have cut this winter ?

We're doing fair but a little less than I wanted. After hurting the back pretty bad just before Christmas that has slowed the cutting a lot. Wanted to cut today but the body just won't let me. Maybe I won't cut again until Monday. Still, we have a nice sized splitting pile building up. I'll have to take some more pictures soon.

Would someone please explain to me what GIBIR means?

wishlist said:
I'm surprised Dennis. I've come across some punky standing ash this fall. Maybe its because your on sand and drainage is much better then the clay we have around here. Nice day to cut but I here tomorrow its gonna get cold.

I don't think we can attribute it to the sand and good drainage because some of this wood is in wet spots (we have several springs) and some has stood in low spots where water is standing for quite some time. I do not understand it but we've never had an ash go punky but others say yes.

You are right about the cold for sure. Was really nippy out there today and the snow is pretty squeaky walking on it.

Don't worry sav, took me a minute and help from my teenage daughter. Get it before it rots!

I'm lost as to why then the ash is punky? I didn't do much outside today, cold and windy.

Those injuries are why you always say to stay ahead when you can. Don't over do it. I can't help you with letters I wondered myself.

Gark said:
I'm finding white ash around here the same as wishlist describes . Whether deadfall or standing dead , it only takes a year before getting punky. Quite a few of 'em I falled were dead a year and they had maybe 40% punkwood already. Alot of these died because of an excess water problem caused by drainage issues due to a builder that didn't follow plans when they put up a new housing development nearby. Some got nailed by the EAB.

Perhaps this is the key. You speak of a tree that fell and was not cut. The wood I write about was cut rather than waiting for it to fall. I did have one ash this year that we cut that had fell. Actually it was a hanger but I got it down okay. It had broke off about 2' above ground and that whole tree was super dry.

wishlist said:
Don't worry sav, took me a minute and help from my teenage daughter. Get it before it rots!

Took a teenager should of known.

cptoneleg said:
Well Dennis I had hoped this Ash tree was not too punky, had planned on bringing a trailer tommorow and get it all. I cut into it in several places and just not worth the trouble taking it home ( 16 miles ) So I came home with a p/u load of Black Locust.

Cpt, it looks like you have two different trees there. That ash in back should be great wood.

basswidow said:

On top of the old timers, we have an overabundance of dead ash. I fear much of it will go unused.

Locust Post said:
Those injuries are why you always say to stay ahead when you can. Don't over do it. I can't help you with letters I wondered myself.

You are so right about the injuries. That is one reason we stay ahead of the game.

Backwoods Savage said:
cptoneleg said:

Cpt, it looks like you have two different trees there. That ash in back should be great wood.

There were 3 big Ash trees, one of them is allready stacked at home the other 2 in the picture are no good, The Locust in front I loaded in truck and took home.

There's an Ash that I started cutting today that fell across the bottom of a valley, so about 1/4 of the trunk was off the ground. Most of the bark is gone and some of the bare wood was starting to get pitted. I cut the suspended portion and some that was lying on the ground. Lots of solid wood in both sections, and judging from the weight of the rounds, it may be ready to burn now...

Status
Not open for further replies.