Cutting away today and then CRAP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I was down to four large rounds of silver maple that I was cutting to size this morning when all of the sudden my saw quit cutting into the wood. The chain was turning but not cutting :-S . A closer inspection of the log and I could see a shiny metal something or other in the cut. Totally wasted my chain :shut: . I had another half hour of cutting time before I headed home and was going to get started on some beech next and probably could have had that cut to size before heading home. I guess that's the hazard of getting a tree from someone's yard as opposed to a woodlot, people like to hang things from their trees.

fv

Yes its an issue, but everything I have cut through even milling I have been able to savage the chain. Good luck!

I offer to cut yard trees about 7" off the ground. If they want more cutting, I'll cut where ever they like, as long as they're in for $20 a chain if one's wasted ( like cement or a ceramic insulator). I really have not had any complaints with this.

I have had pretty fair results having them sharpened by somebody with a grinding set-up after hitting old fence wire and the like.

It took me a few years to realize all yard trees have metal. Even when the owner says I planted that tree myself and never let anyone nail or staple anything to it there will still be metal for sure. Thats another reason why fire firewood isn't free and needs to charged for the removal.

A good reason to carry a spare chain with you. It might be savable.

I have been very fortunate in all my years of cutting, I believe that in 15+ years I have only hit metal between 6-8 times. It always makes me cringe because you feel it and it is too late!!! I usually will stop immediately and change out the chain, as I can save the chain by grinding it at home if it is not too far gone.

That is why, when I was sawing lumber and someone came with a tree cut from a fencerow or from a yard, I would refuse to cut it.

Backwoods Savage said:
That is why, when I was sawing lumber and someone came with a tree cut from a fencerow or from a yard, I would refuse to cut it.

They still do that! Home owner's just dont get it........

I hit electrical conduit and a junction box 2o feet above ground on yard trees !

The home owner had no idea why, but the ancient nieghbor reported that 'a long time ago" the previous owners had an outdoor hockey rink that they would light up 'real nice' at night.

The box, wire and conduit was 4-5" under the bark of a truely large Red Oak.

This was about 2 inches inside the bark so it had been there for a little while. I'm just going to split it and work from there. I plan on cutting it out and seeing what it was.

fv

I found a lot of objects in my firewood the first year or 2.

Once I got educated, and more selective, life's less exciting, but chains last a long time ; )
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.