Cutting in the Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Does anyone who cuts in the winter on frozen ground have some type of spikes they wear that pullover there boot and if so what kind.

Zap

I'm not at all sure I'd want to be out waving a chainsaw on a surface slick enough that I'd NEED spikes... But one option is to get chainsaw boots with "calked" or spiked soles - just don't wear them inside...

A thing that my GF and I both have a pair of is a set of "YAKTRAX" which are a sort of traction aid that isn't spikes but does seem to work pretty well - It is a sort of rubber and velcro harness that goes over your shoes or boots, and that has a sort of stretched coil spring covering the parts under the sole in an X pattern...

About $25 / set for the "pro" models that have more springs and a heavier duty harness construction.

They seem pretty durable, and are reasonable to walk on. The approx 1/4" diameter coils on the springs are enough to give a pretty good bite on slick surfaces, but aren't as aggressive as spikes would be so you could probably get away with wearing them inside on most reasonably rugged surfaces.

I don't know that I'd go cutting with them, or any other similar item, but they are pretty good for generally getting around, using the snow blower, and so forth...

Gooserider

Zap, there is a company out there that make something very similar the the yaktraks goose mentions, but have a true spiked platform. and the spikes are replaceable. saw them at bass pro shop last weekend. they pull over your boot when you need them, roll up into the special bag when you dont.

I cut all winter, as long as the snow isn't too deep, but I've never encountered frozen ground that is slippery. When there's ice on it, like after an ice storm, but plain old frozen ground isn't usually too slippery, plus it's covered by grass and old leaves and sticks. If it's that slippery I don't run the chainsaw. And then it's too slippery to haul wood etc. anyway, so I wait until a week or whatever.

With that said, I have a pair of spikes that are on straps that go over your boots. I use those when going down to the barn and doing chores after an ice storm. I think I got them at Farm and Fleet, and they were only a couple dollars. Any place that sells ice fishing equipment has a large variety of that kind of stuff.

The only thing I hate about working wood in the winter is how quickly my cheapo gloves get soaked. My run-of-the-mill steel toe boots seem to do fine on snow covered terrain. I've never thought I needed spikes...

zap we don't have the sustained cold you have up there so it's rare the ground freezes solid...but it does happen on occasion. I cut dead trees in the winter and have use Lacrosse boots/felts for the last 20 years or so. No spikes required...if it were icy I find something else to do.

My first reaction would be a set of slip on spikes for ice fishing. They slip on over your boots and would have more than enough grip.

Mountain Man 64 said:
My first reaction would be a set of slip on spikes for ice fishing. They slip on over your boots and would have more than enough grip.

Stopped at my local bait shop and ordered a pair this a.m.

Thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.