Cutting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
do you need a special "rip" chain to cut against the grain?

I have a few larger rounds I could not split with a wedge and couldn't lift into my truck. A poster said to cut them down and not to leave them behind.

Is it harmful to your saw to rip cut a round length wise - so as to split it into a lift size piece?

If you are going to rip them down, the only thing I suggest is that you flip the round on it's side so the tip of the bar doesn't get buried in the round and kickback at you. No special chain, but make sure the round's bark is clean of dirt and debris. Don't give up on them big pieces!!

What kind of saw you running?

Just lay the round bark side down and start cutting along the top along the bark. It's called noodle cutting...every 15 seconds or so carefully pull the saw a few inches away from the round so all the noodles fall away to let the saw cool.

Some chains will do this better than others but any sharp chain should noodle cut. You'll be surprised on how easily it cuts too.

smokinj said:
What kind of saw you running?

I have a Dolmar 5100S 20 inch bar and an agressive chain, also an Echo 16 incher for smaller stuff.

So it's called noodle cut? I will give it a try and keep safety in mind. I hate to leave wood behind.

no problem as savageator 7 said

basswidow said:
I hate to leave wood behind.

That would be a shame, especially when you have a saw that will do the job!

Jay H said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36751/P0/

If you look down at page 2, there are some good posts on ripping chains vrs using regular chains to ripcut..

Jay

Good stuff in this thread - thanks for the link. Now I understand chains alittle better. I am guessing by agressive - my Dolmar dealer has a full chisel chain on mine, because I dulled it on dirty wood before I made it through a tank of gas. My scrounge site is a home construction area and the logs were dragged into a pile. Perhaps I should get a semi for this type of cutting? I've been extra careful to clean the area before I cut. I cut several big rounds that I thought I could split and lift into my truck - but had to leave them behind - as well as the rest of the tree. If a noodle cut works - I am going back for the REST! Woo Hoo! This little trick could mean alot more wood for me.

basswidow said:
do you need a special "rip" chain to cut against the grain?

I have a few larger rounds I could not split with a wedge and couldn't lift into my truck. A poster said to cut them down and not to leave them behind.

Is it harmful to your saw to rip cut a round length wise - so as to split it into a lift size piece?

No.

Before you rip the whole round, try cutting a 4"-6" grove in the top as a head start to splitting.

Will do big Red. I tried this before to start the wedge - but only about an inch deep and the wedge went in but couldn't get the split going. It was trying but didn't make it. My wedges aren't but maybe 6 inches = hopefully it won't cause the wedge to get swallowed.

When noodle cutting, it may have a propensity to clog around the drive sprocket and draw the cuttings back into the bar plugging the oiler hole.

Yeah, and if you are noodling and get a clog in your saw, make sure the chain stops before you reach in to clear it out (ask me how I know!).

EDIT: Save those noodles! Great fire starters!

Shari

How heavy is the maul you're using? Starting a groove with your saw so the wedge has a head start is a good idea. What diameter are these rounds? I have limited experience cutting rounds, but starting near the edge and cutting it in sections is often easier then starting in the center.

The rounds don't look that big. I did the wedge near the edge. It's just tough wood. Might help if I had it on a hard bottom - but it's heavy to move. Hence the reason I'm gonna noodle it this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.