cutting wet wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejevans22

Feb 7, 2010
south east pa
It is raining now and I have plans to cut up some wood and haul it away. The rain is going to pass probably in an hour. Is it ok to chainsaw wood if the bark is soaked?

I can't see where it would be a problem . When You're done ,just do Your regular maintenance checks.

Jags said:
It ain't gonna be a problem - now get to cuttin'. :zip:

+1 no issues unless you melt in the rain maybe an umbrella.....

Nixon said:
I can't see where it would be a problem . When You're done ,just do Your regular maintenance checks.

what mite a regular maintenance check entail? After cutting I usually just put in the garage.

Well if the acid rain in your area is so bad to the point that it eats away metal . . . then yes . . . otherwise other than you getting a little wet it shouldn't be an issue. Folks cut in the snow and rain all the time.

firefighterjake said:
Well if the acid rain in your area is so bad to the point that it eats away metal . . . then yes . . . otherwise other than you getting a little wet it shouldn't be an issue. Folks cut in the snow and rain all the time.

Folks even cut in the ice. . .but they're part of another therapy group.

ejevans22 said:
what mite a regular maintenance check entail? After cutting I usually just put in the garage.
You don't clean it or wipe it down at all? I'm new to this myself but I'd think at least a good surface cleaning should be done before putting it away.

chris-mcpherson said:
ejevans22 said:
You don't clean it or wipe it down at all? I'm new to this myself but I'd think at least a good surface cleaning should be done before putting it away.

yes I like to make the surface clean as well 409 meen-green just get the dirt off....A guy where I have been cutting sence last fall will ask me everytime I am there you get a new saw...lol sometimes yes but I normally have the 460 in my hands when he asks and its over 3 years old.

You're fine cutting wet wood. Just be sure you've got your PPE on and you have good traction (ie: don't stand on wet grass).

Safety first.

You don’t clean it or wipe it down at all? I’m new to this myself but I’d think at least a good surface cleaning should be done before putting it away.

Can't hurt to do that, but frankly I never have. I blow out the air filter once or twice a season and clean the plug, 14 year old Craftsman saw still fires on the third pull or less every time...refuses to die. I let it cool off so it doesn't melt a hole in the plastic carrying case, thats about it.

chris-mcpherson said:
ejevans22 said:
LOL

I push her hard and put her away wet. One day I went to grab the saw and almost tore my arm out of the socket. The saw was frozen solid to the floor!

alright thanks guys. Ill start wiping it down from now on.

No playing outside in the wet grass without your rubbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.