Damaged Poplar - need advice (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
This is a large poplar tree that is right on the edge of my main trail going out into the woods on my property. This was caused by Hurricane Irene and I'd like to remove it as this trail gets heavy use by me and my family. If it happens to go on it's own it will land right on the trail. I checked it out good this morning and the top is leaning a little to the side that the trail is on. I think I could cut it on the opposite side of the lean just enough for it to go and have plenty of room to get out of the way. Of course there is no garauntee that the top will come down since it's resting way up in the crotch of the oak tree next to it. I was also thinking of cutting it a little and then pulling it down with a come a-long. I don't think I'll be able to get very close to it with the truck but if I could get a long enough tow cable (longest I have is 20') I could pull it with the truck. What do you guys think?

f2b5c4e5.gif
103eed7b.gif

94147150.gif

I think that looks dangerous, I'd def. go with pulling it. Maybe a long chain/strap, & a blocking rig around another solid tree to stay way out of the way? Poplar is soft anyway, & tends to snap @ bad times ime. I'd do what ever I had too in order to get a line up high enough to get that top section on the ground first. A C

I wouldn't touch that one. It doesn't look like you could reach up high enough to put a strap on the broken section, and I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable cutting the base of a tree that badly broken and that large. In addition to the broken tree I'd worry about the dead tree next to it falling or being knocked over if the broken tree decides to give. I am not sure how I'd get it down.

It looks like it is fairly high off the ground where that tree snapped. Honestly, that looks like one that I would leave be. Let nature take it's course and clear it off the trail when it falls on it's own. The only way I'd mess with that is if I could safely get a rope up on the broken section and try pulling it out. I personally would not try to cut the lower section of that tree until the upper section is on the ground.

I'd throw a line onto it and yank from afar. Otherwise I'd let Ma Nature work on it.

Maybe if I were on site and had a good look at it, I'd consider getting in close to put a shallow notch and shallow backcut on it and then pull form afar to let it fall on itself like an accordion.

Just had the almost identical thing here. Beware, the vertical part is, in all probability, spring loaded. We put a long heavy rope on mine and pulled it down with a one ton truck. If you can't get to it that way, I agree, let mother nature take care of it.

Rope it high (Long rope) pull it or winch it! Once the top falls down then you can work from there.

I'd try to get a rope on it as close to the top as possible and try to roll it away from the oak it's leaning on too.

You'd have to be really careful cutting the base on that one. Would be my last resort.

I'd be cutting 2/3 through and pulling on it from a good safe distance, too.

Whoa!!!! That thing is rotten and has widow maker written all over it. I'd probably wait until a high wind and Mother Nature will probably do you a big favor. Even going up close to it you are taking a big chance simply because of the rotten wood and that thing could go in unexpected ways. We've had these types in the woods many times and I like to let Mother Nature help and usually she does rather quickly.

Thanks guys. I think I'll let it be for now and see what happens. It'll probably will come down this winter during a good old nor'easter. Not worth risking it!

Albert, I don't think you'll have to wait that long.

Yea, I would let it go and see if it falls. Or like Jay said throw a rope over it (usually need a smaller line first with a weight, bean bag, etc.) then pull it down from a far with a winch or a come-a-long. Time is your friend with that one, no way would I cut it with that thing on top waiting to come down who knows where.

If I saw this I would most definitely let 'er be . . . wait for some good fall or winter storms to take care of this for you . . . this is not something I would tackle.

That one would spook me but I could not let it just sit there. If I had to use that trail I would not want to be under that thing. I needed a lot of rope for a tree that I needed to pull on and was able to order tow straps online for a low price and link them together to get it long enough. You may want to consider something like.

Status
Not open for further replies.