Damaged splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey

Feeling the Heat
Like an idiot, I damaged the hydraulic oil tank/rail on my new little mtd 8 ton splitter. The tank is bent from dropping a round on it to hard. The ram will no longer run across the tank smoothly. I checked with MTD and the price of a new hydraulic resovoir is over 300 bucks...I only paid 171 for the splitter...I was sooo pissed at myself. Is there anyway to repair this,,or do I have to purchase a new resovoir....thanx....

That sucks. Can you get a bar through one of the ports and bang it out?

Joey said:
Like an idiot, I damaged the hydraulic oil tank/rail on my new little mtd 8 ton splitter. The tank is bent from dropping a round on it to hard. The ram will no longer run across the tank smoothly. I checked with MTD and the price of a new hydraulic resovoir is over 300 bucks...I only paid 171 for the splitter...I was sooo pissed at myself. Is there anyway to repair this,,or do I have to purchase a new resovoir....thanx....

Like Solar said that sucks, can you put a picture up it might help.

zap

Need pics. Depending on the thickness of the material a hammer will pound it in, and a dent puller will pull it out. If you have a body shop anywhere close, the type that spot welds a post (for the pull hammer) would be great. When done you just snip it off and grind flat (this will not work with heavy gauge material).

My camera is outta commission for now. This is a great reason to get a new one. The hydraulic resoivior is actually built into the frame,,where the wood is placed to split. It is bent inwards, not very much,,but enought not to let the ram run smoothly across it. MTD does not make this model anymore, but parts are still available. I've only had the machine for a few days,,,just disgusted with myself. The wood actually slipped outta my hands.

It sucks that you can drop a piece of wood on it and damage it. I wonder if you can add a remote tank in a better location and do without the damaged one.

Is this it, like the "beam" is the hyd tank?

Attachments

• Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 519
Yes ANEAT, that looks exactly like my splitter. Thanx for posting the pic for me. My hydraulic tank is slightly bent "inwards". Its not letting the ram move across smoothly. Just tryin a way to straighten out the tank so the ram could move freely. I need to get to work on next years stuff,,,almost all Ash,,,,but wanna get it done

so dented inwards on top tube? only way that i can see that that would affect ram travel would be if it was on an edge. in that case get out a selection of hammers and start shaping the tank back into shape. unless souch a large area bent in that it caused the outer edge of the dent to raise. either way time to masage it back into shape. that 8 ton rating could be voided now however.

Thats exactly what happened pine......bent inwards...creating the edge to move up slightly....guess I will beat on it with a hammer....for a while....just afraid I was gonna do more damage then good. You guys have all the answers on this site..love it....its better then calling the manufacturer..!!!!!!

Find a good welder. Put an add on craigslist, lots of people looking for work these days.

Hold up, how about removing either 1 or both of those bolts on the bottom of the ram. See if that helps and then maybe try a smaller bolt. WD40 that area too.

Attachments

• 2 boltz.jpg
    2 boltz.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 345
Thats a great idea with the bolt Fire...I pulled them out last night. The only problem I see is that the bolts run thru a sleeve, that rolls on the bottom of the tank/rail. If I can find some smaller sleeves,,,it might work. I'm gonna mess with it tomorrow, hope I can fix it.

Must be built very cheaply for that to happen. I would try to modify it somehow. Most of that ash could probably be split faster by hand.

not sure how tall that ram is, but you may be able to "press" the outward dent back in with a "portable-ized" benchvice, or some C / Bar clamps. alot of compressed air could possibly take care of the inward dent!?!?dont bang on the tank directly with a hammer. you will peen and strech the metal more than necessary, use a block of wood or something with more surface area than the hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.