Damper control won't move

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ITDirectorPaul

Nov 25, 2010
CT
I have a Vermont Casting Seneca model wood stove that I am in the process of installing. It was in storage for a year before I received it used. The problem is that the damper control knob will not move at all and I suspect its rusted in place. Everything else such as the controls and doors are free and move as they should.I have navigated my way into taking the top off and I can look at the damper and see that the damper is free, the offset rod that controls the damper moves as much as it can with what play there is. That rod then connects to the control rod and then finally the control knob that you use to adjust the damper. The control rod exits through a tube that connects the inner stove to the outer wall of the stove. The control rod that exits the stove is frozen in place. It appears to be an inner rod that is surronded by a sheath/tube and those are the parts that are stuck together. I don't see any rust in the area. I put the handle on and I couldn't turn it. I was able to put an open end wrench on that square where the control knob goes and I hit it with the hammer. The open end wrench flexes, but that rod stays stuck in place. I put the control knob back on and used a block of wood to tap that with a hammer to see if I could break it free, again it won't move. I sprayed some liquid wrench on the rod in hopes to free it up and so far that hasn't worked. What else can I tryto get this thing free? What is the secret to freeing these stuck parts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Paul

ITDirectorPaul said:
I have a Vermont Casting Seneca model wood stove that I am in the process of installing. It was in storage for a year before I received it used. The problem is that the damper control knob will not move at all and I suspect its rusted in place. Everything else such as the controls and doors are free and move as they should.I have navigated my way into taking the top off and I can look at the damper and see that the damper is free, the offset rod that controls the damper moves as much as it can with what play there is. That rod then connects to the control rod and then finally the control knob that you use to adjust the damper. The control rod exits through a tube that connects the inner stove to the outer wall of the stove. The control rod that exits the stove is frozen in place. It appears to be an inner rod that is surronded by a sheath/tube and those are the parts that are stuck together. I don't see any rust in the area. I put the handle on and I couldn't turn it. I was able to put an open end wrench on that square where the control knob goes and I hit it with the hammer. The open end wrench flexes, but that rod stays stuck in place. I put the control knob back on and used a block of wood to tap that with a hammer to see if I could break it free, again it won't move. I sprayed some liquid wrench on the rod in hopes to free it up and so far that hasn't worked. What else can I tryto get this thing free? What is the secret to freeing these stuck parts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Paul

PB Blaster sold at Home Depot and Lowes works wonders on frozen parts..

Ray

My friend had the same problem with an old Dutchwest that came with the house he bought. We tried PB blaster and lots of light tapping with a ball peen hammer off and on for about two days. I finally brought over my small torch set and heated up the area where the damper rod was froven. After heating and letting it cool two times it started to move a little bit at a time. We then worked it back and forth while applying PB blaster to it for about an hour and it has worked like a charm from there on out. If you have to apply heat to it only apply small amounts at a time and the expansion and contraction of the heat and cool cycle will help loosen the rust up.

Thanks! The PBlaster and the heat worked well. I was able to free almost everything up. Now I can search for a replacement or see if soaking these two parts in teh PBlaster will seperate them or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.